Prague, Budapest, Vienna

Search

Prague, Budapest, Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague, Budapest, Vienna

Next fall, my husband I were planning a trip to Europe and were interested in a Prague, Budapest, Vienna trip for 8 nights or possibly a swizterland/germany trip. I know this is a little vague but I am in the earl stages. Since we are likely not getting to go back for a while, I would like to see a lot but don't want to be too rushed--has anyone done similar trips?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM

8 nights fro three cities is a little rushed, although that depends on your style of travel too. You might want to consider Vienna and Prague, with day trips from both cities.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM

I did this exact trip in September, except that I flew to London first then on to Prague and back from Budapest. I don't think I ever posted my trip pictures here - here they are on my website:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/00,0,...,0-prague.html

I had 9 nights on the continent: 4 in Prague, 2 in Vienna, 3 in Budapest. You could do 8 nights in these three cities and it would be OK, 3-2-3 is how I would recommend it - the train between these three is easy. A few extra nights would allow you to stop off in a few smaller cities, such as Bratslava.

I loved Prague, really hope to go back. It's a small, intimate, romantic city and very walkable and easy to get around. I felt transported to a an exotic wonderland in a different time where. Vienna was very pleasant and easy to navigate but not exotic as Prague felt, not a place that excited me at all. Budapest was exotic but not particularly warm or welcoming. I would go back to Budapest for a second look but probably not to Vienna although I wouldn't avoid it. I'm not a museum person; mostly I enjoy wandering around cities, absorbing the feel of the place, and taking pictures.

I used Rick Steves's Best of Eastern Europe book as my guide - my only problem is that I was using a year-old book and by 2005 some things had already changed, otherwise the book was a great guide. I'd recommend that as a starting point.

Andrew
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Andrew, thanks for the info. I am wondering if we should go to Prague and maybe a city in Switzerland or Germany. I know you can't do everything but we probably won't get to come back for a while.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Sure, you could do Berlin or Dresden pretty easily from Prague - never been to either city but again, people aren't always high on Berlin, either (big and sprawling). Use the search feature on this forum to read people's comments about all the cities you are considering, try to get a feel of the writer's point of view and how you might agree/disagree with it. I think the latest version of the Rick Steves Eastern Europe book covers the easy German options, though.

You could also do Prague and Budapest and skip Vienna (or maybe do a day stop - early train into Vienna, wander around inside the Ring, late train out, just to get a feel). You could do a day trips out of Prague and/or Budapest to get a feel for the countryside beyond the cities.

I don't mean to dissuade you from Budapest and Vienna. Everyone's tastes are different, and some people love Budapest. It's still a neat place to go and worth visiting. But not every part of your trip need be a highlight. Maybe you could think of Budapest as your meal and Prague as dessert.

Andrew
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:50 PM

I though Andrew had it just about right. I would tend to trim a bit from Prague and I really love Budapest -- but others feel quite the differently.

Anyway you cannot go wrong with these 3 imperial cities. And what a wonderful theme for a trip: the 3 historic centres of the old Austro-Hungarian empire.

The added charm -- or piquancy -- of your selection is that:

Budapest and Prague share superficial similarities (Divided by a river; old town surmounted by castle; city core on the flat with grand 6 story buildings and boulevards). But as a friend commented:

"Prague is Mozart and Budapest is Beethoven."

(Well, not Beethoven exactly -- but some grand, bombastic, nationalistic show-off. Liszt?)

Then Vienna and Budapest are alike in their magnificent boulevards and grandiose public spaces. But Vienna is super-clean, well-tended and a tad chilly whereas Budapest is gritty, run-down, and kinda heart-breaking in its faded splendour.

In all 3 cities you will find splendid hotels and restaurants, if that is what you seek, or small quaint corners and out-of-the-way places. Prague is not as strong on painting -- Budapest and Vienna have stunning collections.

All are great cities for walkers and wanderers.