Amalfi Coast Itinerary Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (kids 8 & 15) will be heading down to the Amalfi Coast after 6 nights in Rome(late June/early July). We have another 6 nights before we head back to Rome the final day before our flight.

We are planning to base in Sorrento so we can do Capri, Pompeii, etc.

Questions:

Is 7 days too long to stay in Sorrento?

Should we stay there for the whole 6 nights, or is there somewhere else nearby or on the way back that we should go for a couple of days? I wasn't planning on renting a car unless necessary.

Should we look for a weekly rental in a villa or apartment, or are we better off in a hotel close to town? (any recommendations would be appreciated)

Thank you!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
ira

Hi esk,

>Is 7 days too long to stay in Sorrento?

I don't think so.

>Should we stay there for the whole 6 nights,...

I would

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM

7 days is definitely not too long to stay in Sorrento. You can spend each day exploring a different area: Positano, Amalfi, Capri, Ischia, Pompeii, etc. I wouldn't rent a car, since you will need to use the ferry to get to Capri and can use it to get to Positano also. There is a bus system that connects the towns of the Amalfi coast, and you can take the Circumvesuviana (train) to get to Pompeii. For fun, we took the bus up to the top of Positano and back down again. It gave us great views of the coast, took us away from the tourist center, and it was amazing to see how these buses work their way through the tiny lanes of the Coast.

In terms of hotel vs. villa, our family usually rents villas or apartments when we travel. It puts you in closer contact with the locals and culture, and usually affords you more room.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:16 PM

>Is 7 days too long to stay in Sorrento?<

Not in my opinion. We spent 12 days in the area this past summer with our 12 YO daughter, including a week in an apartment in Positano. We were <b> not </b> lacking in things to do. Here's a link to our trip report, in case any of this is helpful:

http://www.onelittleworld.com/campania_1.html
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM

I've never stayed in Sorrento for quite that long and it may get a little boring for your eight year old. However, there are plenty of day trips you could do. Capri's blue grotto would be a lot of fun for the kids, as would the ferry ride. The kids would also love Pompeii for a day. Another day trip could be a hike up Mt. Vesuvious. I've hear the view from the top is gorgeous. And, should you decide to rent a car (or perhaps there is a bus trip you could take), the ride down the Amalfi coast is beautiful and the kids would probably have fun with all the sharp turns! Naples is also not too far out of the way, so a drive down there would be nice. I would also suggest someplace close to town. The town isn't big, but it would probably be a lot easier since you would have easy access to things like the ferry, the beach, any bus lines, and of course the shops (gelato in particular!).
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Sounds like I (finally!) have a plan. If anyone has any great accomodation ideas for the area, please let me know. I had read some good things about Settimo Cielo. Would that be a good choice? Any others we should look at?

Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Try SummerInItaly.com. We used it last year to rent a villa in Praiano. I'd use it again. The Amalfi coast was great. We relied exclusively on the bus since driving on the Corsa Italia looked a bit challenging. Don't forget a day trip to Ravelo (Above Amalfi) and take the lift to the top of the mountain in Anacapri (Mount Solarus?? Something like that) on the Island of Capri.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Sorrento makes a great base. In addition to the previous suggestions, you can go to Herculaneum, which some people prefer to Pompeii, and do a daytrip on the Circumvesuviana train to Naples and the archeological museum there.

As for the hotel Settimo Cielo, it looks a little far from town. Have you read its reviews at www.tripadvisor.com? You might find something there you like better.

We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene and had a balcony hanging out over the Gulf of Naples. However there was no pool just a pier for swimming and sunning. The Hotel Tramontana next door had a pool.

However, with 7 days (are they Saturday to Saturday?), why don't you rent a villa? Check out www.slowtrav.com for villa reviews and also reviews of villa renting agencies.