Chalet/Apartment rental in scenic area of Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in renting a chalet or apartment for a week for 8-10 people next June somewhere in the Alps or other scenic area of Switzerland. I realize we will probably have to rent 2 apartments, hopefully in the same building or at least nearby. I'd like a place fairly rustic, but with some modern conveniences. I'm picturing one of the dark wood places with vining geraniums at the windows and the sound of cow bells nearby. Anybody stay some place like this or have any ideas? Oh, and of course, would like it reasonably priced.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM

You don;t have to rent 2 apartments - there are plenty of family chalets with 3 - 5 bedrooms for rent. If you just do a google search under Switzerland Chalet Rental you will find dozens of companies and private owners that do this.

Will you be flying in to Geneva? Zurich? Do you want higher in the Alps primarily for hiking - or closer to major towns or sights for touring? Will you have children to amuse?

Suggest you look at a couple sites to get some ideas of prices and perhaps narrow down to a couple of areas. Then peple may be able to help more.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 02:07 AM

You may find a chalet as you describe it in the Bernese Oberland. Other areas in Switzerland have different types of Chalet architecture.

You should check www.interhome.ch (but it is rather expensive).

Or search on the village's websites: www.grindelwald.ch www.wengen.ch or www.gstaad.ch etc.

A little cheaper might be villages like Lenk, Adelboden, Kandersteg or Meiringen/Brienz (www.alpenregion.ch)

I.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'm looking for a place in the country or in a small village. It doesn't need to be by a major city,I'd prefer that it wasn't. No special needs. Hiking would be nice. No small children to amuse. I received a brochure from www.gstaad.ch with some places in the nearby villages. I have also requested info from Kandersteg. Any other ideas? Does anyone have a special place they would love to go back to?
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM

I've been to Grindelwald a number of times, and you can't beat it for sheer scenic beauty, places near by to see, and for hiking.
I've also stayed in Gstaad and it was nice, but not a Grindelwald.
Zermatt or Saas Fee are other favorites, but I think Grindelwald is your best bet.
I do know I've looked at some rentals on www.drawbridgetoeurope.com
and there are a number of firms with condos or "villas" for rent in Grindelwald area, but I can't specifically recommend any.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:01 PM

other suggestions:
Engelberg and Hasliberg
http://engelberg.ch/en/index.php
http://www.alpenregion.ch/?lang=en

I think I would lean towards Grindelwald for a first time visitor though.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

My only concern about Grindelwald is that it is too touristy. This will be my fourth trip to Switzerland but have never been to Grindelwald however.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Hi, GMetc. I think I must second your doubts. My only visit to Grindelwald did not enchant me, because it seemed that all I heard were American voices and the buildings were all hotels. Perhaps I didn't walk far enough away from the station. Have you checked Wengen or maybe Adelboden? And if you could be happy with mountain views rather than actually being on a mountainside, then perhaps you could check out rentals in Oberried or Ebligen (on the north side of Brienzersee). Have fun choosing. J.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 05:50 AM

I guess the problem is that any town in Switzerland that has lifts to mountaintops, fantastic scenery, chalets or apartments to rent, and is accessible, is going to be touristy. I'm not so sure Grindelwald is any more touristy that any other spectacular spot in the country. If you want to avoid the touristy spots, you've got to find an area that has nothing to draw the tourists. Then why stay there?
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM
cod

We were in Grindelwald this summer with eleven of us 7 children, 4 adults. We rented an apartment in Chalet Bargbrunneli (look at www.grindelwald.com and then go into Lodging) It had 4 bedrooms (2 twins, 1 three beds 1 four beds) 2 showers and all necessary equipment.We would go back there. Have a nice time.We also rented two cars in Geneva, in the French sector, and got a 30% discount each one because of 3 children under 18. You have to do this through the National Citer rental, and the web-site is only in French.

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM

GMT2272:
Check out www.vacationvillas.net or their german language equivalent (if you speak deutsch, there are more listings in german).
They list a lot of large chalets in rural regions as well as towns. Fabulous photos with great descriptions!
I am on their auto e-mail list for new property updates. Your description of
geranium-filled windows and cowbells could be any of the smaller outposts in Meiringen-Hasliberg area OR Kandersteg region--I loved them both! Anotherr undiscovered gem is the Loetschental valley, just beyond Goppenstein and before the Aletsch Glacier...babbling brooks and wild cuckoo birds to lull you to sleep!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

The rental we had planned on fell through, so now we're looking again. Any more ideas?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM

This site has links to such accomodations in Gimmelwald. Look under "Holiday Flat." Gimmelwald is high in the Alps, near Lauterbrunnen at the foot of the Schilthorn. Can't get much more rustic than Gimmelwald.

http://www.gimmelwald-news.ch/english/stay/index.html

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM

If you want to stay in a non-touristy area in the Oberland that has great beauty and great hiking, then Gimmelwald wins easily. Traffic free and the only way to get there is by gondola. All the accomodations are simple and rustic, but comfortable.

The reason Gimmelwald is not touristy is because it is in an avalanche zone, so nothing bigger than a barn can be built.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Edward, your praising of Gimmelwald leaves one question: have you ever been to Gimmelwald?

I know you are planning a trip to Switzerland this summer. It seems to me you have not been to the Bernese Alps before and your knowledge on Gimmelwald comes from Rick Steves.

I agree it is a small (read: tiny) place, no big hotels and still (architecture wise) unspoilt. But it is definitely not as quiet as you might think. Since it is located along the hiking path Stechelberg - Mürren (which is quite frequented) and due to the cable car station it attracts a considerable crowd during the days. Evenings and early mornings are different, of course.

Anyway, there are dozens, if not hundreds of such hamlets in the Swiss mountains. I personally have seen dozens, which were more charming and authentic. Beside that, I don't think that the fact that offering only rustic, basic, simple accommodation qualifies a place to be favourable. Most of us might prefer a certain comfort.

I hope you don't feel offended. I just noticed that you praise a place which I would not recommend to most of us travellers.

Ingo
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I have been there only once, in 1992 for only one day. I stayed at the Mountain Hostel and it was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, the weather was poor so I didn't get anything like the full experience. I freely admit I am a huge Gimmelwald fan and Rick Steves is a big reason for that.

Yes, I am sure there are many other small hamlets around the Oberland. More experienced visitors to that area would certainly know more about that than me, hence the value of having many people offer their perspective. However, when offering my opinions, I go with what I know. I can't very well offer advice on places I don't even know about.

GMT had asked for rustic, non-touristy places in the Alps. I know from both experience and research that Gimmelwald fits that description, so that's what I recommended. Granted, not everyone likes rustic and thus do not necessarily find Gimmelwald appealing for overnight accomodations but that is what GMT specified. Every time I recommend Gimmelwald I always preface it with "if you like rustic..." Obviously, if someone wants a regular hotel in the region, then Gimmelwald is not the place to be.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

While I wouldn't mind a visit to Gimmelwald, I was thinking of a place a bit bigger. Ingo, where would you suggest?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I think the villages in the vicinity of Gstaad villages might be your best choice. Gstaad itself tends to be on the pricey side. So you might have a look into Saanen in particular.

Better yet, Rougemont or Chateau d'Oex.
www.rougemont.ch
www.chateau-doex.ch

The mountains are lower there, but there are glaciers in the vicinity. This year this part of the Alps had unusually much snow so far, so you better pick a place at lower elevation (like these I mentioned). Cow bells and geraniums guaranteed in these villages.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I'm a big fan of the Berner Oberland too. But if Grindelwald is too big and touristy, and Gimmelwald is too small and secluded...I'm thinking <b>Wengen</b> is right up your alley.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:51 AM

Where else have you been on your 4 other trips to Switzerland? If you have not been to far eastern Switzerland, then I would suggest going to the Engadine, esp the villages of Guarda, Tarasp, Pontresina or larger places like Davos or Klosters or the St Moritz/Celerena area. Guarda is especially gorgeous with all the scraffito houses. Arosa outside Chur is also a good choice. In all these area, there is great walking and scenery, and none are heavily touristed by Americans if that is one of your concerns. You could do the Bernina Express or some of the other scenic trains.

I like the Chateaxu D’Oux suggestion. I also think a week on the northeast end of Lake Geneva around Vevey would be great, I could look at that view all day. Also consider the Lugano, Lucarno or Ascona region. I am a big fan of the Saas Fee valley, it is so pretty and so quiet compared to its neighbor Zermatt. You can make a day trip to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn.

Kandersteg is pretty, but does not have the wow impact of the Jungfrau/Monch/Eiger valley. If you choose the BO, then stay in the Jungfrau valley and make a day trip over to Kandersteg for walking and hiking. I like Wengen or Murren over Grindelwald or other places at the bottom of the valley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -