Swiss Air Still In Business?

May 28th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Frannie

Swiss Air Still In Business?

We're using US Airways FF miles to Venice, and they're putting us on their partner Swiss Air, thru Zurich. I thought they went bankrupt? Still flying, and if so, anybody used them recently, and if so, how was it? Thanks for the advice.

May 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Phil

Frannie:
Just in a nutshell (leaving out details and emotions :

Swissair went bankrupt as of March 31 2002. In October 2001, Crossair (Switzerland's regional carrier) had been bought out by the 2 major Swiss banks, and after cash injection from the federal and regional governments and many important Swiss industrial concerns, took over most of Swissair's routes. It is now doing business as "Swiss" and is officially known as "Swiss Airlines International".

I have taken them on a former crossair route (BSL-BCN rt) recently and did not notice any serious changes from its former standard. No information on intercontinantal routes from me so far.

Hope this helps

Phil.

May 28th, 2002, 11:14 AM
ttt

topping

May 28th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Wayne

Frannie---Swissair is now Swiss Airlines, normally just called "Swiss." It's the same airline, the same planes, most of the same people. I've flown Swissair a number of times using US Airways FF miles myself. I always enjoyed it. By the way, if you haven't heard, Swiss will drop out of the US Airways FF club and will no longer be a partner airline as of some time this summer.

May 28th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Frannie

Thanks for your input. US Airways claims to be unaware of Swiss Air's plans to end to partnership status. USA's other Italy partner is Alitalia ... travel gateways from Boston, JFK, Neward, Miami, Chicago and Toronto ... 60K per person. I went ahead and booked two seats to V. I appreciate your assistance.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
xx

For those who flew with Swiss air...did you have to "CONFIRM"OR "RECONFIRM" your return flight ?
Thanks

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
mj

Re: Confirming your flight on Swiss:
My Sister-in-Law flew back to France last Tues. on JFK-GVA flight and we confirmed 8 hours prior to departure w/no problem, YMMV.

I'd advise you call Swiss to find out their policy.