Swiss/Cross air ?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Maura

Swiss/Cross air ?

Has anyone flown on Swiss/Cross air to Rome via Zurich?<BR><BR>How was the flight etc?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:57 AM
anon

stupid questions:<BR><BR>It is no longer Swissair, so what is the correct name?<BR><BR>and what happened to Sabena, they were partners but are they around anymore?<BR><BR>I have been on Sabena/Swissair in the past - nice airline. that was 18 months ago... dunno how the changes changed things...

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Leslie

anon, don't be so fast to criticize. The new airline that emerged from the Swissair bankruptcy, is called Swiss. It is in business with Swiss. Sabena also filed bankruptcy, however, that new airline is called DAT.<BR><BR>I've flown Swiss since the bankruptcy, and the service is fine.<BR><BR>Maura's title is accurate.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Sandy

Maura... my adult daughter just arrived in Rome yesterday via Swiss/Crossair. She turned in miles on American and the last leg of her flight was on S/C air. I haven't spoken with her but phoned S/C air to make sure her flight arrived on schedule... which it did.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Maura

Funny you say that - but when you do a search for Swiss/Cross air their web page comes up.<BR>They are flying - just not under SWISS AIR - but Swiss !<BR>Guess you didn't know that -

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Maura

Leslie-<BR>Thanks for the, kind, reply. Maybe anoy got up on the wrong side of the bed!<BR>That happens to all of us sometime.<BR>Could you tell me a little more about<BR>your experience with Swiss?<BR><BR>Sandy --- please let me know how you daughter liked her flight.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:13 AM
anon

interesting.. the preface 'stupid questions' had to do with my own ignorance. I didn't know, and I was asking. I also replied to your question.<BR><BR>perhaps the two of you got up on the wrong side of the bed?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Leslie

anon, I suppose that your first post could be read either way, but really, it didn't look that way to me. But, I will apologize to you.<BR><BR>Maura, you won't find any difference in Swiss and the old Swiss Air -- same planes, same colors, same pilots and flight attendants. You can still get frequent flyer miles through the Qualiflyer program.<BR><BR>On the long haul flights, each seat has an individual screen for movies. There are also some inflight games. Food is actually pretty good, and if you can make certain selections in advance -- eg. Kosher, vegetarian, etc. The ice cream and chocolate are always Swiss, and the catering on both ends is done by Movenpick (Switzerland/US flights).<BR><BR>My only concern, and although it has nothing to do with the airline, is that the Swiss air traffic controllers have responsibility for the crash that occurred between the German and Russian airlines that collided in the air last week, as the Swiss were responsible for that area. Supposedly a new radar system is being installed. But, you would have no control over knowing where one country is responsible and the other isn't.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Maura

anon - sorry for misunderstanding<BR>your statement!<BR><BR>Leslie - thanks for all the info. -<BR>hopefully Swiss controllers won't make anymore errors! Ususally, after an accident ---everyone is really on their toes!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Myriam

Sabena has not been taken over by DAT. DAT has been taking over over flights from the bankrupt Sabena until a new Belgian airline was created. The new company operates under the name of SN Brussels Airlines.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Sandy

Maura... I don't know if she'll call while she's there. She returns in 2 weeks so I can get her take on Swiss Cross Air then. I think, although I could be wrong, one of the reasons that American Air put her on Swiss from Zurich to Rome is that there are very few flights into Rome these days.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Mandy

Sandy, I also would appreciate any comments you can pass on from your daughter. I'll be flying American Airlines & Swiss to Barcelona, via Switzerland. I'd especially like to know if they have any differences from American in carry-on/security rules.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Maura

<BR>Mandy- at www.Swiss.com it says the measurements for carry on are:<BR><BR>22x16x8 and weight of 22 lbs. I hope this helps.<BR><BR>Maura

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Gerry K

This month's Travel & Leisure magazine contains an article entitled, "Swiss Bliss," which is about the "new" Swiss International Airlines. Essentially, the article highlights the visual trendiness of the new airline, and notes that that trendiness is the work of a former T & L staffer.<BR><BR>Still, modest changes not withstanding, when I see a Swiss plane only a single word comes to mind: "Hospital."<BR><BR>Gerry K

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Pandy

Mandy, Sandy, Randy and Left Handy why don't you just look up the web site yourselves?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:09 AM
doug

Just flew Swiss to Barcelona via Zurich (coach). Assume it's similiar.<BR>Pitch is a bit tight. 32" I'm 6'2" and it was a little tough.<BR>Food=typical.<BR>Service well above average<BR>Planes=330 Airbus on transatlantic with the personal TVs. <BR>They did lose our luggage (in Washington). 2 days to find. But seemed sincerely interested in finding it.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Mandy

Pandy, FYI I did look it up on the website. My comment was did Swiss have any unusual rules. <BR><BR>Maura, thank you for your kind response anyway!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Eddie

My sister, her husband and 5 children all flew Swiss Air 3 weeks ago and they really enjoyed it.<BR>They said the seats were comfortable, food was good, and the chocolate was great! They even had 2 hand-held games that they gave the children to play with during the trip.