Surprise trip to Ireland - Driving Route

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could believe it, have wonderful relative that used frequent flier miles to fly spouse and I to Ireland to meet them for vacation!

We are arriving in Dublin on 9/25/06. Meeting them at Cork airport on 9/28. From there we will make Galaway headquarters and take day trips within the area. Leaving out of Shannon on 4/1/06.

Want to take the three "free" days we have before meeting them to sightsee on our own. Spouse not thrilled to be driviing a lot. Only must I have is Waterford and touring the crystal factory, everything else up for grabs.

Would we be better off just staying 3 nights in Dublin, take bus to Waterford one day and then drive to Cork on the 28th or just stay one night there and work our way around the coast?

Want to stay in moderate B&B's which might be difficult to find in Dublin.

Have bought Lonely Planet Ireland book and starting reading this forum. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Reviewing my first message. After more reading, can really tell I am a novice! Never been to Europe so this is a little scary.

After more study, apologize - area we will be staying the most days is Galway not Galaway.

From the map, it seems silly not to just rent a car in Dublin and drive through to Cork.

We arrive Dublin early morning of 25th. Will use public transportation that day, spend that night in Dublin. Pick up rental car some time during the following day, travel to Wexford or Waterford and spend second night. Tour area next day, on to Cork the next morning.

Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions for overnights or good place to rent car? My husband is 6'5" so will have to get at least midsize.

Really appreciate the help and again, sorry for being such a "newbie"
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:29 PM

am I reading your post correctly? you are arriving in Dublin Sept 25, 2006 but leaving Shannon on April 1st , 2006.

I think your dates are really off. 9/25/06 is over a year away, and if you meant 2005, then are you really staying for 6 months in Galway?

overall - expect to average about 30mph, so plan your days accordingly.
I personally don't like to drive there for more than 3-4 hrs in a day.

If you are looking for an automatic car, I would reserve it NOW. I have used Dan Dooley twice and had great luck both times.

My best tip for driving there - line up the driver's outside shoulder on the center line. Helps keep you from drifting.

If you are going to Waterford - try to get there around 9/10 am. Do the tour, and then grab lunch in their Cafe. YUMMY food - way better than you expect. It is a la carte, but worth it and the desserts are fabulous.

Otherwise - the soups there are the best I have ever had, and you will get wonderful ones almost everywhere. I have stopped in 'hole in the wall' tiny lounge bars , as well in nicer restaurants.

Debbie
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM

As I read your posts again, some other items come to mind.
1. If you are staying in Dublin overnight, then wait to rent your car until you are ready to head out.
2. I would head out of Dublin and head down to Kilkenny for overnight (about 1.5 or 2 hrs) or Cashel/Cahir and then hop over to Waterford the next morning. We used Cahir ( Dualla) house as a base for a few nights and it is wonderfully central location where you can stay in one place instead of staying in a different place every night.
3. If you do spend time in Kilkenny - hop out of town towards Jerpoint Abbey & Jerpoint Glass. if your husband is a golfer , there is a premiere golf course btwn JA & JG - Mount Juliet. You can have lunch there overlooking the greens. Also nearby is Bennetsbridge - home of Nicholas Mosse Pottery.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help. Boy, I am either excited or senile??? Date of arrival is March 25 and leaving April 1 of 06. Total of just a week.

Will check out car rentals now. Again, thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:40 AM

Hi there!

Well firstly relax, you'll have a wonderful time! I was in Ireland about 4 years ago and it was great - have relatives there as well.

We flew into Dublin and literally drove across the country to Dingle on date of arrival...but be prepared, roads outside of Dublin are rural. Just take it slow, enter roundabouts from the left, and stay on the left or middle...not many cars to encounter on rural roads, just cattle or sheep. This drive for us took approximately 8 hours to do.

Sounds like you'll be around the Southern coast of Ireland in Cork. I would recommend a day trip to the South West Coast to Dingle which is a very quaint town, and also there you can catch a boat ride to the Blasket islands. I would also rec. if you have time to visit the Ring of Kerry which is very scenic and beautiful. I didn't have time to go there, but the Cliffs of Moher, if you have time, are supposed to be spectacular.

Whatever you do choose to do, will be great. The people are exceptionally friendly and good-natured and you'll have a lovely time.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM

If you're coming from North America, realize that you'll probably start to crash at some point on the day of arrival...it usually hits me around 3pm. It's a good idea to take a 2-hour nap (NO LONGER than that) and then stay up until 11pm.

On day one, I'd do the Dublin hop on/off bus and choose one or two attractions.

You could easily stay in Dublin and see the sites, but if you prefer to move onward then you need to decide on your mode of transportation.

A car is the most convenient way to see things, but the bus/train options between Dublin-Waterford-Cork are very good for getting between these towns.

If you decide to go carless...On Day 2, consider the bus or train to Kilkenny (or Waterford), spend the night there. Kilkenny is a very pedestrian-friendly town with a great castle and medieval streets with good shopping and food.

On Day 3, take the bus to Waterford (or Cork), spend the night there. Waterford city doesn't make my "must-see" list, but there are lots of things to do and see there in addition to the Crystal Factory (I'd suggest getting there early before crowds).

On Day 4, you can meet your friends in Cork.

If you go by car, the Lonely Planet has a great listing of all the things around Kilkenny (Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, Kells) and an abundance of things between Waterford and Cork (Tramore, Ardmore, Dungarvin, Midleton, Cobh, Kinsale).

Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:55 AM

OK, now that your heart has slowed a bit and you can think clearly (right dates and all) let's see what we can figure out.

Although people do it, I don't recommend driving the 8 hours on a first day as Delphi did. Yikes! It seems like that is not what you have in mind. Debbie is right, don't get your car until you leave Dublin.

Particulars on your driving plan. For not wanting to do a lot of driving, you'll be doing a lot of driving for a week. Is it doable? Certainly, but you are getting half the country during a weeks stay which is substantial. You will also be going past some of the most impressive scenery and you'll probably want to see it all.

From what you are saying you will be in Dublin on the 25th, near Waterford on the 26the and near Cork (try Kinsale, nice town with plenty to do) on the 27th. Tramore may be a nice choice near Waterford. My choice would be not to stay in either Cork or Waterford.

From there it sounds like you are going Galway from Cork which is a pretty full drive and would probably cause you to miss Dingle. That wouldn't be my choice but perhaps there is a specific attraction to Galway. Remember, you don't need to stay in big cities and IMO, the small towns and villages are much more interesting. That's just me.

I would spend your last night near the airport, probably Bunratty, though Ennis is a nice choice and has some good spots for music. After that, start planning your next trip.

Let us know how the planning is going.

Bill
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Whew! Okay, took my deep breath! Thank you all for such good advice. Here's what I have so far:
Arriving Dublin @ 11:30 am. Stay in city overnight and take city bus tour.

Drive (or take the bus) to Waterford early am next day. Tour town, crystal factory and eat lunch at
factory cafe. Will definitely look into staying in Kilkenny. Thanks for the tip!

Found out we will have to meet relatives at Cork airport early! Arrival time 8:30 am. so thinking about staying the night before in Blarney. Thought that looked close to Cork airport and I might even get to kiss the Blarney Stone! Checking out Blarney Vale B&B

Brother-in-law said once we meet, we'll head out to Dingle, looking at Gorman's Clifftop House for the night.

From there on to Galway for two nights. Want to stay at Ross House B&B.

Finally, all agree we want to stay close to airport in Shannon. Looking at Bunratty Castle but doesn't look good for availability.

Does route look okay? I am so proud of myself, printed out driving route on AA. But here's another stupid question.

Since getting out of Dublin seems a bit daunting and bus routes seem really good, thinking about not even renting a car until the Cork airport or I see Waterford has an airport, could we rent a car there? Would feel much better if we started driving on more country roads.

Everyone has been terrific! I am printing off all answers and going home this weekend to sort through the options.

As they say, life is good!
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM

I haved trained from Dublin to Kilkenny and the same train goes on to Waterford. This might get you to Waterford without renting a car and you could look into renting one in Waterford. This is fun, helping someone else plan a trip. Joan