Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland itinerary: Dublin to Kinsale on Day #1?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning our first trip to Ireland 8/5 - 8/14. We'll fly in and out of Dublin, arriving at 8am on 8/5. We'll rent a car for the time that we're in Ireland.

I'm building the trip around three nights in Dingle, 8/7-8/10, staying at Greenmount House (which appears to be quite a favorite in this forum!) After Dingle, we'll make our way to Ballyvaughan for one night, Westport for one night and finish off with two nights in Dublin.

Tell me, do you think Dublin to Kinsale, with stops along the way, is too ambitious for Day #1? If that's too ambitious, any suggestions for the first three days/2nights?

Thanks!
Sue
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Some comments:

1) If you are still on time, change your departure airport to Shannon; much easier logistics. 2)

2) When it comes to driving in Ireland, be conservative and estimate an average of 30 miles/hour to calculate driving times (unless it is all highway in btwn destinations, which not sure why would you do that...).

3) By "Day 1" do you mean arrival day from transatlantic flight? If yes, Bad idea Dublin to Kinsale. If No, you better start driving VERY eaarly.

4) Why are you getting to Dublin and leaving right away for Cork County....!? You should consider just flying into Cork Airport??

5) First 3 days stay in Dublin. THEN rent car and head out.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Gracias, Viajero2.

No flexibility on tickets....the "price" of the free tickets we have.

I think I already knew that Dub to Kinsale on Day #1 (yes, the day we arrive) was too ambitious---I was hoping that stops along the way would break it up. But, your response confirms that such a drive would be foolish/stessful/unproductive!

Why do you like Dublin first...to get over jetlag? I put Dublin last to make sure we'd be where we need to be to fly out.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Dublin first for sure -- driving after an over night flight can be close to suicidal. Only a <i>slight</i> exaggeration . . .

Stay one or maybe 2 nights in Dublin totally car-less. Then collect your rental and head out on the driving portion of the trip. You only need to be back near DUB late the evening before your flight out. You can spend the entire last day driving over from the west and check into a hotel or B&B near DUB after dinner, and fly home in the morning.