Sundays in Avignon

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Waverley

Sundays in Avignon

Is everything open on a Sunday in Avignon in May? Is there anything special on Sundays that you wouldn't find on other days? Thanks in advance

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Christina

I think I've been there on a Sunday once or twice and don't recall anything special that was unique to Sunday. (I don't suppose you want to hear about church service). I don't know if everything is open, I doubt it, but probably most things a tourist would want are.

There is a flea market on Sunday mornings at place des Carmes which isn't on other days right in town (there is one on Saturday but at Montfavet outside of town). That's all I know.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 10:33 PM
PB

In Avignon, all of the stores will be closed on Sunday mornings... and Monday mornings. There is a small market along the walls (nearest the train station), but it is mostly a food market.

In many of the villages you'll find the stores open on Sunday mornings, and closed in the afternoons and all day Monday.

PB

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:32 AM
steve

Avignon is like any other French citie on Sunday. Most everything is closed but there are open air markets in the area. The most famous (and it's only on Sunday) is at L'Isle sur-la-Sorgue.
If you'd like more info on visiting Provence check out my web page:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733/provence/provence.html

We enjoyed Avignon very much. Hope you do too!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Waverley

Thanks Christina, PB and Steve for your responses. Steve and PB, you gave me valuable and excellent advice for our trip 18 months ago and PB we have wonderful fond memories of meeting you and your dogs at your incredible home. You went out of your way to give me tips great places to eat and visit, when my kids and I stayed at Les Baux.
This advice is for my parents-in-law whom I have persuaded to visit Provence.

Another question, is the old station still used for the TGV? I know that 18 months ago, some TGV trains came in at the old and some at the new.Is this still the situation?