Stores closed on Monday in Aix?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read (perhaps on this site?) that stores in Aix-en-Provence are closed on Mondays. A group of us have Aix on our agenda for a Monday. Are we going to be terribly disappointed? Are ALL the stores closed on Mondays? If we substituted Avignon for Aix on a Monday, will we find the stores there closed also?

Thanks for your help!

Joy
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:56 AM

Not all stores are closed but many are. This is because they are open on Saturday instead of monday. This is even true in Paris with smaller stores. It will be the same in Avignon.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response!

Are the stores in Aix and Avignon (and other towns in the Luberon/Vaucluse area )closed on Sundays?

We are going to the market in I'lle sur la Sorgue on Sunday. If anything is open on Sunday afternoon, we could go there.

What would you suggest we do on that Sunday afternoon if stores are closed. We will be seeing quite a bit in the area in our 8 days there. I'm sure we could just hang out a cafe on the water in I'lle sur la Sorgue for the afternoon -- that wouldn't be all bad, would it?!?!?!?

Joy
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM

What kind of stores are you talking about? Stores that have a large tourist clientele will not likely be closed on Sunday as that is a prime business day.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I think Monday closings in most French towns are a thing of the past - at least for major stores, not mom-pop ones which are dying out fast. Banks may be closed Monday but stores tourists are interested in i don't think so. But am ready to be corrected.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Just got back from 5 weeks in France.

When we were in Aix on a Monday morning in '99, most of the stores were closed. A small number of the very touristy ones on the Cours were open, but they were the same stores you see everywhere in Provence. Genevieve Lathu and the wonderful ceramics store across the street from Genieve were closed. Some of the stores opend up in the afternoon. But remember, the afternoon starts around 3:00pm. Same for Avignon, Uzes, & St Remy, although a few more will be open in St Remy. Usually, the ones my wife wants to go into are the ones closed all day. We were in Montpellier last year & the ones that posted opening & closing days were closed on Monday. We never plan to go to a town for shopping on Mondays. We spend 2 months in France most years. I have a habit of always checking the closing days of stores my wife shops in (to keep my "Provence itinerary" current), and most are still closed on Monday mornings and sometimes all day. Many of the "Gap" type chain clothing stores are open, but my wife has no interest in these types of stores.

On Sunday, most of the shops in l'Isle sur la Sorgue will be open. Don't forget to poke your nose into the very nice home decoration shop on the main plaza next to the church. Get there before 9:00 - it's a mob scene by 10:30. We were there 4 weeks ago (for about the 8th time).

On Sunday and Monday most of the shops will be open in Gordes & Roussillon. Not as many in Bonnieux (actually, there are fewer shops in Bonnieux). On Monday, I would head out to the Luberon and wander around Gordes & Rousillon & the other villages. Enjoy the vineyards and take lots of pictures of the perched villages. Then go on my "lavender drive" that I've posted here a few times. You'll see some spectacular countryside - lavender fields (through July), gorges, vineyards, mountains (Mt Ventoux), small isolated villages (Brantes & Montbrun), etc.

If the l'Isle sur la Sorgue market doesn't wipe you out, visit the Bedoin market on Monday morning, and then do my lavender route in reverse.

E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy of my 20 page Provence itinerary - I just make some updates to it.

Stu Dudley
SWan Mateo (San Francisco), Ca