Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help finalizing Provence Itinerary (based in St. Remy)

Old Apr 4th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you help me finalize my itinerary? We are big on food, markets, unique sites and then ruins.

We are flying into Paris and directly taking the train to Avignon, arriving in the evening on April 11 (Saturday). Since, it will be late and we will be tired from the flight, we decided to stay one night in Avignon and renting a car the next day:

Sunday: Start the day in Avignon, explore old town, pick up rental car at TGV and head to Chateauneuf du Pape for their annual Chateauneuf Festival. If time permits, visit, the Musee du Vin Brotte. Head to St. Remy and check into our apartment.

Monday: Head to villages of Luberon, including Isle Sur la Sorgue, Gordes, Roussillion. I read that the antique market in Isle Sur la Sorgue will still be open on Monday. SHould Lourmarin or Bonnieux be added?

Tuesday: Main target is Cassis. Given the weather won't be warm enough for the beaches, can I squeeze in Arles and/or Carmague?

Wednesday: St. Remy Market, Visit Van Gogh's Asylum and head to Les Baux. If no time for Arles on Tuesday, can I fit Arles in between St. Remy and Les Baux. I heard Les Baux has a good sunset and food near Paradou, so would like to finish there before going home to St. Remy.

Thursday - Head back to Avignon for 13:00 train to Paris.

Ideally, I would like some down time to explore the patisseries and stores in St. Remy. Also, where can I squeeze in pont du gard
Also, open to restaurant suggestions along my itinerary.

many, many thanks in advance!
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 03:13 AM

You will pay a premium for a rental at the TVG station. It would be cheaper to get your car at one of the city outlets. There is a europcar outlet just about 10 minute walk from the station.
While at Les Baux don't miss the Carrieres des Lumieres site, definitely unique. Bring a sweater...its a little chilly. Also there is the roman ruins at Glanum just outside of St Remy
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 06:04 AM

I think your planned day in the Luberon is a bit crowded, but at least the villages are all close to one another. Try to end up in Lourmarin, if you decide to go there, and sit in one of the cafes that line the main street and just relax and catch your breath.

On your day to Cassis: first, by all means go. It's very different from the other places on your itinerary. My problem is in thinking that you can go to Cassis, south of St. Remy, and then turn around and get to Arles or the Camargue and not get whiplash. Instead, enjoy the port, wander around the old town, and take a cruise through the calanques, the finger-like inlets in the cliffs outside Cassis. It will be a wonderful, memorable day, not filled with glances at your watch and worries about traffic (which can be horrible around Cassis; be warned that parking is also difficult. You'll have to park somewhere outside the village; the town offers free bus shuttles from various locations.)

If you must, perhaps visit Arles on Wednesday. The St. Remy market attracts loads of people, many arriving in big tour buses; you may find a little of the market goes a long way. Perhaps see the market in the a.m. (of course), then head to Arles for lunch, see the town, and end up in Les Baux? I know this is counterintuitive in terms of geography, but it covers your bases.
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 06:31 AM

Most shops in Avignon will be closed on Sunday - if you like to shop. Same with some shops in the Luberon on Monday morning. Gordes & Roussillon will have shops open, but some in Bonnieux may be closed. I don't know about Lourmarin. We were in l'Isle sur la Sorgue once on a Monday and many of the antique shops were closed, but some were open. Other non-antique shops were mostly closed. The town was kinda dead.

I would see all you can in Avignon on Saturday, and then go to the huge/wonderful market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue early Sunday morning.

If you choose to pick up a car in Avignon - make sure the office is open on Sunday. Perhaps you already know that the downtown office is closed, and that's why you are picking the car up at the TGV station. I hope you are aware that the TGV station is out of town a ways - and close to St Remy. I would probably choose to pick up the car at the TGV station when I arrived on Saturday and stay in St Remy the first night.

Most shops in St Remy will be open on Sunday, but many will be closed on Monday.

I agree with Frenchaucour about the market in St Remy. It kinda overwhelms the town and detracts from the enjoyment of the architecture of the village. Also - lots of tourists. I think the market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue is better - so if you can go to that one I would skip the St Remy market and use the time for the Pont du Gard and Uzes. Wed is also small-market day in Uzes - so visit the Pont first because the market in Uzes REALLY hides the wonderful arcaded Place aux Herbs.

IMO, I would only go to Cassis if the weather is sunny. The town itself is about a 45 min visit, but lunch at the port and a boat tour of the Calenques is nice - if it is sunny & warm enough.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, we don't arrive in Avignon until past 8pm,which seems like its too late to see Avignon. We thought about going straight to St Remy but this will be our first time driving in France and not sure how easy it would be to navigate in the dark. Should I reconsider this so we can get to Isle sur la sorgue market?
Very disappointed to hear many of the shops will be closed on Monday and thanks for heads up about the tour bus crowds!
No one has commented on Carmague. Is it worthwhile?
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 02:03 PM

I would not attempt to drive out of the Avignon TGV station in the dark. Despite the fact that we've spent 20 weeks vacationing in Provence - I sometimes still get lost driving to/from the TGV station - mid-day. Stay in Avignon & drive to l'Isle sur la Sorgue Sunday morning - first thing. Return to Avignon for a visit on a day other than Sunday or Monday.

You'll only be in Provence for 4 1/4 days - I would not include the Camargue. I've never been a fan of it - but others really like the Camargue. Spend a half-day in Avignon instead.

Do you have my 35 page Cote d'Azur/Provence itinerary?. I've sent it to over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu! I will shoot you an email for that itinerary and thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of heading straight to l'Lisle sur la Sorgue Sunday morning, but I think I would like to head to Chateauneuf to catch the last day of the festival afterwards. This means doing a loop back on Monday to Luberon to visit Gordes, Roussillon, etc. and maybe to Avignon?

I've read that Camargue may best fested with mosquitos? Stu, just curious on why you are not a fan? May help me confirm that I can skip it!

Have you ever had any trouble with leaving luggage in the rental car if we are smart about it? I am concerned we might get a hatchback where we can't hide it!
Old Apr 5th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Luggage in the car.

We put all our luggage in the trunk and nothing in the back seat. Then we back up the car into a tree, lamp post, back of a parking garage - anyplace where it is impossible/difficult to open up the trunk.

We've driven through the Camargue a couple of times and seeing pink flamingos (we have them at our local zoo), white horses, & marshland is not something that excites us. Aigues Mortes was a village that was interesting on our first two visits in the 80s - but now that we've seen more of France, it is not so "unusual". The walls are nice to walk around and so is the central square - but other than that, the architecture is rather "ordinary". I would much rather explore the remote villages in Provence (see my itinerary for details).

Stu Dudley