Ideas for Provence on Sunday and Monday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in Provence this Saturday, staying in Caromb. I would like to go to the L'Isle Sur La Sorge market Sunday morning but am looking for suggestions on what to do in the afternoon given that shops will be closed in most places. Should we go to Gordes, Bonnieux and Roussillon? Would St. Remy, Les Baux and Arles make sense for Monday? We want to go to the Pont du Gard and Avignon but am currently planning to do this later in the week. All advice appreciated.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM

This time of year, most places in Provence will be open on Sunday and Monday. If you are going to Isle Sur La Sorge on Sunday, do the Luberon that days as well. Many shops in the villages (Gordes and Roussillon for sure) will be open. Monday sounds good, although I might start with Arles and end with Les Baux (the people thin out later in the day).
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM

I've never been to France in August - always May, June, early/mid July, September, or October. Even in those months, most shops in Gordes & Roussillon are open on Sunday - so a Luberon visit then would be perfect. Most shops in Bonnieux were closed when we were there on a Sunday.

On months we were in Provence, many shops were open on Sunday in St Remy, but the ones my wife liked the most were closed on Monday - don't know if this is true in August. DanM said shops were open in Provence on Sunday & Monday, but I would get a second confirmation on that or perhaps DanM could tell us if he actually went to Arles & St Remy on a Monday morning to shop (many stores open in the afternoon - around 3:00). I suspect shops in Les Baux are always open, although I've never visited on a Sunday or Monday.

Remember, almost all shops will close for a 2+ hour lunch - some in Gordes stay open.

Next to Caromb in Bedoin, there is a very nice Monday morning market. While in Caromb, pick up a walking tour map from the tourist office & follow it around this interesting village.

Our favorite restaurant in that region is l'Ostalet in Gigondas. www.restaurant-ostalet.fr

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Drove through St Remy from Maussane on the way to Avignon three weeks ago today. Shops were open as we were driving through. do not know for sure about Arles. Our hosts were the ones who told us everything would be open thanks to the tourists.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM

BTW, Galnum in St. Remy should still be open, I believe. Some shops may be closed, but the sites (Glanum, roman sites in Arles, etc.) should be open
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I was there in April 2 years ago, and everything in every town was closed on Sunday, except for Cassis, which is where we went. didn't go as far as the Luberon tho.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I think we will go to the market in Bedoin Monday morning and Les Baux later in the day, as recommended, and play it by ear for the middle of the day.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:43 AM

>>>play it by ear for the middle of the day.<<

You could pick up a map from the tourist office and take 1 of 2 different walking tours through Pernes les Fontaines - if it's not too hot mid-day. There are not many shops in Pernes - just some interesting architecture and over 30 fountains. If it's hot, take a leisurly drive to Les Baux in your air conditioned car. You could head towards Sault via D974/D19/D1 and take my "Lavender Route" (see past posting by me) in reverse - ending in Gordes, which is 45 mins from Les Baux.

You could also drive via Mazan, Venasque, Murs (or Senanque, but that is a very narrow road - but scenic).

I suggest that you not get to Les Baux via Carpentras, Pernes, Cavaillon, etc. The section from Carpentras to Cavaillon is not pretty at all - lots of grocery stores, car dealers, Home Depot type stores & other unsightly commerce.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM

You might consider lunch at the Mas de Cure Bourse in Isle sur..after the market. The Luberon is my favorite part of provence. Do definitely venture to Rousillon,Gordes and Bonnieux.