Sunday in London

Search

Sunday in London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday in London

First time to London and will only be there Sat, Sun, Mon - leaving on Tue morning. Love to shop and brouse,wander interesting streets have a interesting meal. I understand that most everything is closed on Sun and Mon. What would you suggest for a first timer? Thank you for your help
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Also, love gardens. Will be in London first week of june. Thanks
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:04 AM

Everywhere is open on a Monday and Sundays are a good day to go to Covent Garden(find a nice cafe and sit and watch the street entertainers) the markets good but i'm not sure if thats a Saturday or Sunday. Oxford street shops are open after12.30 - till about 16.30. Hope this is of some help<BR>Buses for Oxford are very regular(every 20 minutes around the clock(Oxford Tube) and take about 1 1/2 hours to get there nice for a day out
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM

I think you might have misunderstood a previous post about THEATER being closed on Sundays and Mondays, certainly not &quot;most everything.&quot; Most (if not all) museums are open on Sunday. <BR><BR>I would have a rain plan and a fair weather plan. If it's fine, why not go to Kew Gardens or Richmond Park or maybe even a trip to Hampton Court or Greenwich. <BR><BR>If the weather's rainy, any of the museums (I like the National Portrait Gallery or the Wallace Collection). Also, while most shows are closed on Sunday, there are a few that have performances and the theater area is much less crowded.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:41 AM
ron

As others have said, most everything is not closed on Sundays and Mondays. But if you need help, here is what I did on my most recent Sunday in London. Walk across Hyde Park from my hotel on Bayswater Road to Apsley House, tour Apsley House, then wander around the Wellington Arch, taking a few photos, then tube up to Highgate for OLW walk of Highgate village. Then took tour of Highgate Cemetery and returned to hotel around 6 pm. Decided to take the evening off since I was leaving for Brecon early the next morning, so rested a bit then went over to the Kings Head pub on Moscow Road for dinner.<BR><BR>Another fine way to spend a Sunday is in Greenwich, arriving by boat from the Tower.<BR><BR>Hope this is some help.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

if you want to check out Covent Garden have a look at www.coventgardenlife.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:50 AM

my favourite thing to do in London on Sundays is go round the markets; Columbia Road if you're up early, and later Spitalfields (Liverpool Street Station) You're then not far from Brick Lane for lunch (Indian and Bangladeshi food) or Arkansas, in Spitalfields Market, for burgers, ribs, etc. that apparently are very highly rated by American expats. Spitalfields is good for gifts, quirky clothes and jewellery, lots of things that are a bit different to anywhere else
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:10 AM

I agree with the above poster about going to the Spitalfields market. On my most recent visit to London on a Sunday a few months back I had breakfast in SoHo, walked to Leicester Square, then over to Covent Garden Market, where I parted with some friends who went off to Spitalfields and loved it. I went to the Theatre Museum which was free that day, had a pint in a pub and did some writing before meeting back up with my friends to take the ridiculously crowded Jack the Ripper Walk lead by the Ripperoligist Donald Rumbelow. After the walk we took the tube back to Embankment and went to a wine bar and a retro pub before retiring. So, London had definitely not closed up for a Sunday and this was in January.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM

I also have spent some Sundays while vactioning in London, by taking a boat trip up the Thames from near Westminster Abbey/Parliment to Greenwich. Greenwich streets seem to be teaming on Sundays, with shops &amp; markets on the way to the large, open park area leading up to the observatory. If there is a special pub or restaurant you want to go to on a Sunday, be sure to verify the hours they serve food. Some of the places may have different hours on Sundays.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:51 AM

Long gone are the days when London shut down on a Sunday, and Monday has never been a close-down day in the UK (that happens in Italy and Spain).<BR><BR>Most shops and virtually all trourist attractions are open on a Sunday, until 5 or 6pm. You may find they open a little later in the morning, but that's all (good chance for a lie in). You will find, however, that some restaurants are closed, although there are still many open in the major tourists areas. You certainly won't starve.<BR><BR>So you can still do pretty much whatever you like on a Sunday, and Monday is a standard working day (a good day to see most tourists sights actually, when everyone else is back at work).
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:35 AM

Harrods is closed on Sundays. Several stores we intended to go to (such as the cigar stores and chemists around St. James Street) were also closed on our very recent visit. So if you are looking to shop in stores, you may just want to verify if they will be open so you aren't disappointed. However, other posters had very good suggestions of the many other great things to do.