Reload this Page >

London on a Sunday

Search

London on a Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Amy Elizabeth

London on a Sunday

My first trip to London this November will include an entire Sunday. I know many things are closed on Sundays. Any suggestions on how to spend the day??? Major tourist attractions, exploring, shopping, and markets are my top priorities.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Surlok

Amy, <BR> <BR>Camdem Town and Covent Garden are nice places to go on Sundays. Lots of fun, and stalls and stores will be open for you to explore them.. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 10:43 AM
sylvia

On Sunday morning try the Columbia Road Flower Market. It's full of Londoners buying flowers and plants, the stallholders are real cockneys and have wonderful patter. As it's a bit off the beaten track there are few tourists.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Lori

Most attractions (museums, Tower, etc.) are all open on Sunday. Churches certainly are (St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey to name the "biggies"), cruises on the Thames operate all the time, major dept. stores on Oxford St. are open 12-5. There are plenty of things to do/see on Sunday, including Camden Market should you decide on that.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Merilee

Petticoat Lane on a Sunday - it's an open air shopping experience - rain or shine. You can buy almost anything there. I bought a couple of sweaters that I haven't seen here - for the equivalent of $10 each (American). It's only open from 9am - 1pm though. I can't remember the underground line I took, but it wasn't a long ride at all. Anyway, I loved it - and I was there November 2000.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Russell

One of the more interesting places to go on Sunday is Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. All kinds of people speak about a wide variety of topics and hold ongoing debates with the groups of listeners that surround them. Can be quite a bit of fun, especially when the speakers are discussing provocative subjects.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Roger

Although most live stage shows in the West End are closed Sundays, we found several months ago that "Art" at the Wyndam's plays on Sunday. It is currently starring Judd Hirsch and Richard (John-Boy) Thomas. It is definitely worth seeing.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:35 PM
nevcharlie

Lori, Just remember the churches are inconsiderate enough to hold services on Sunday, so admission may nor always be possible.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Virginia

Besides what others mentioned: there are walking tours from a company called London walks (website is www. londonwalks) which are wonderful and occur every day, including Sunday. (hundreds of different tours, no need to book ahead). On Sunday evening you can do the Jack the Ripper tour, which is universally acclaimed, or a ghosts tour, or a Soho pubs tour. _

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Bryan P.

In all truth, London can be quite boring on a Sunday, so it's an excellent time to do one of the good day trips to places like Hampton Court Palace, Windsor castle, etc. <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Amy Elizabeth

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I appreciate the honesty and variety of responses. I'm ecstatic about my first trip to London!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:44 PM
saraleigh

There is much to do in London on Sunday except fight the commuter/worker crowds. Shows on Sunday include: Buddy, Complete Shakespeare Abridged, and The Lion King. Try www.allthingsbritish.com for more information. <BR> <BR>I love Sunday in London. Have a great time !!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Andy

Amy- you can take a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich--there are flea markets there and great little pubs,plus a naval museum and some antique shops.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 11:12 PM
DeeInLB

Just got back from two weeks in London and Paris. Our first full day in London was a Sunday (and a rainy day, too!) so we spent the majority of the day at the British Museum, which was great. The Egypt collection is amazing. Also, Sunday is the day for Speakers Corner at Hyde Park, where anyone can spout off to their heart's content. There was quite a crowd the day we went by there!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:00 AM
Suzanne

What time does Speaker's Corner start? And how long does it run?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:57 AM
annie

Hi all:<BR>Will be in London with Mom next Sunday.<BR>Any more great suggestions?<BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Susie Q

I really enjoyed the Columbia Road Flower Market. Don't know if if is open during the cold months though.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:38 AM
The Vicar

You could go to Church?

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 01:12 AM
PatrickW

I'd prefer Spitalfields Market (just around the corner) to Petticoat Lane.