Search

Summer Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer Trip

We have 2 weeks (end of May/beginning of June) and have decided to visit Norway and (hopefully) Iceland. I visited Stavanger while in college...beautiful city. We're thinking a few days in Oslo, then off to Stavanger, Bergen, Voss and Trondheim. Does this seem like a good list of places to visit? Also, what is the best way to get around? Hire a car? Trains? Planes?

Any advice would be very welcome.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
P_M

I would like to help you by suggesting you re-post this thread under something like "Summer trip to Norway." Most people will pass by a thread with a very general title, while someone with specific knowledge about Norway will open your thread if the word "Norway" is in the title. Good luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Hi, Zanger:

Your header is extremely vague; perhaps you should re-post and mention the countries you plan to visit. I'll bet you get some good responses. Lets face it, half the folks on here are planning a "summer trip"...put Norway and Iceland in your title, and you'll hear from those who can help you the most. Just a suggestion.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Ooops! Sorry for the duplicate advice, P_M and I posted almost simultaneously.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM
P_M

Great minds working together, Robdaddy.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Icelandair often have cheap offers from the US to Norway offering a 3-7 day free stopover in Iceland.

I would probably skip Trondheim and focus more on the Stavanger and the Fjords. I personally prefer to travel by car. In Cities however you don't use the car.

To save time I would fly between Oslo and Stavanger. www.wideroe.no is a good Norwegian airline for cheap one-way deals. Be sure to choose the main airport in Oslo "OSL" instead the one south at Torp,Sandefjord. Going by plane can often be cheaper than with train.

Stavanger is one of my favourite towns. If planning on walking up to Preikestolen (pulpit rock) close to Stavanger I recommend renting a car (as the bus doesn't start running to Preikestolhytta until june 20.), otherwise take Flagruten catamaran boat to Bergen. Rent a car, doing a roundtrip drive of the fjords. Not having a car would recommend flying from Bergen to Ålesund. Then go via Geiranger back to Oslo with a combination of bus and train.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 05:38 AM

Oops... Just realised that the Goldenroute bus connecting Geiranger to the train doesn't start running until mid-June. Sorry! (But this bus ride Åndalsnes-Geiranger-Strynefjell is one of the most scenic in Norway)
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Also, take a look at Bergen to Alesund! We took the bus there and it included 4 ferries...gorgeous scenery, all locals (we were the ONLY Americans), just a very pleasant day. And Alesund itself is just gorgeous. Cheap flight back to Oslo on Braathens airlines. Did love Bergen, so don't miss it.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:45 AM

t