Summer "SALES" in Paris (Dates)

Jun 10th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Summer "SALES" in Paris (Dates)

Anyone aware of the dates when the official sales start in Paris for clothes, etc. Much appreciated!
Jun 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM

My husband's officemate in France told him it starts June 28/29.
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM

As of yesterday, the dates for Paris had not yet been officially announced, but the end of June is likely (most départements are setting June 28).

For those who are wondering what this means, be advised that it's illegal to have sales in France except during certain government-approved periods, which generally occur once in winter and once in summer—believe it or not! (Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité!)
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Are the discounts that huge? I'm going to miss it by just this much - And so if you say yes, I'm probably going to lose some sleep over it.
Jun 10th, 2006, 11:42 AM

The sales in Paris begin on June 28. I have seen stores that are having special reductions right now.
Jun 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM

The discounts vary from one store to another. I don't know if there are any legal restrictions on the discounts that can be offered (apart from the fact that stores are not allowed to sell merchandise below their own cost). The discounts tend to get larger as the end of the sale period approaches.
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM

I don't know if the discounts are huge, exactly, but there are some in comparison to regular prices. It's just typical dept. store sales, and a lot of the merchandise is what is leftover because it didn't sell, of course, like any seasonal sales. You may not always have the best selection of sizes or something, and the best product is not put on sale.

I wouldn't go to Paris to go shopping, as you can do that at home.
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Oh Christina, you put a big smile on my face with that last assertion. There are many throughout the ages who might disagree.
Jun 10th, 2006, 07:34 PM

zizz,
I'm not sure whether the discount is "huge" or not, but it is interesting to watch TV stations reporting about it. For example look at a web TV cast on the beginning day such as:

http://www.france2.fr/
"JT en Video" at the left column

I have seen people making mad dash to stake out claims to the goods.
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info! And yes the sales are huge if you no where to shop!!!!! My wife and I go to Paris every January for the sales. And yes to answer one question not just for the sales. Even if you live in New york or LA the clothes are better, more unique and you save the export$$$$ and you get back the VAT tax which ranges from 10%-14% which even adds to the savings. We typically only shop in Europe it makes a lot of sense IMO. Thank you for the dates.
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Boy ,I better lay off the wine!!! No where!! know where verse no where. The sales are a good deal if you are patient and know what you're looking for. You can get great quality fashion at a fraction of the price. It really depends on what you are looking for and brands worth investing in saying that loosely.
Jun 10th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Also I meant the clothes and unique boutiques (designers) are better in Paris compared to larger cities such as NY or LA.
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:23 AM

A Paris, les soldes auront lieu du 28 juin au 5 août.