Wiskey Tour in Scotland

Jun 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Wiskey Tour in Scotland

I am interested in doing a wiskey tour in the highlands in Scotland. I really haven't framed this out, but i am looking for ideas in terms of:

How long do we need?
trains vs. rental cars?
where to fly in?
time of year? i was thinking september
worth spending time in glasgow / edinburgh?

all i really know is that i want to visit royal lochnagar and dalwhinnie.

any help would be great!
Jun 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM

First, it's "whisky".

You need as much time as you can spare because you won't want to leave.

I would go with a rental car, much more flexibility.

Fly into either Edinburgh or Glasgow.

September is a lovely month in Scotland.

It's always worth spending time in Edinburgh and Glasgow does have a few interesting things to see, I suppose!

Jun 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Hi,
Once you've been to two or three distilleries they all start to look the same. Some are more homely and some can be a bit mass-tourist oriented but even this can change with time. You won't need more than two or three days to see all the distilleris you want to. You will need a car for most distilleries. Dalwhinnie is one of very few that are within reach of a railway station. If you can find a teetotal driver, be very nice to them ;-)
Glasgow "Robert Burns" (or Prestwick as we still call it in Scotland) is the main airport for direct trans-atlantic flights. Edinburgh or the real Glasgow are more likely if you're coming via London or from the European mainland. These are all within a few hours drive of the major mainland whisky distilling areas, and of each other, so choose the one that suits your schedule and budget.
September is a perfectly good time to visit. Late September or early October is the end of the season for some smaller accommodation providers but you should find a place to stay without much bother. If you are here in late September try and find a few days to spend in Perthshire or one of the other "tree" areas.
If you like cities, Glasgow and Edinburgh are both worth visiting. So are about half a million other places, depending on what your interests are.
It's seldom a good idea to buy your whisky at the end of a distillery tour as the local supermarket will probably offer much better prices.
BTW the only way to drink malt whisky is neat or with a tiny splash of tap water. The man who said whisky and soda was invented by the devil was being unkind to the devil. YUK!
Jun 8th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Craigellachie's info is very good - but you also need to check on your other thread. (that's the problem w/ posting the same thing multiple times)
Jun 10th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Ummm.....tell me it's not REALLY called Robert Durns airport, Craigellachie-you're making that up...?
Jun 11th, 2006, 02:58 AM

Duh- "Burns" not Durns- and anyway it's NOT true. Just a silly proposal