Suggestions to stay in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done much research yet with Edinburgh but does anyone have any suggestions with regards to where I should try to find accommodations within Edinburgh? A preferred area perhaps or an area to stay away from?

Before I deep dive into planning this specific leg of my trip, I want to see what realistically are my options and hopefully folks can help narrow down my selections.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 02:25 PM

It's fruitless to offer hotel suggestions unless you tell us when you'll be there and what your budget is.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In general the best areas to stay would be either in Old Towns on or w/i a block or two of the Royal Mile, or in the New Town on or w/i 3 or 4 blocks of Princes street. But Budget makes a HUGE difference.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 03:50 PM

We are budget travelers and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate, a block off the Royal Mile. It was nice with pleasant management and a good free breakfast with a lovely coffee machine that produced various concoctions including cappuccino.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 10:58 AM
ira

We were very happy staying at 14 Hart St (http://www.14hartstreet.co.uk/ )

Enjoy your visit
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:10 AM

It's been years, but we stayed at the Jury's Inn which is right off the Royal Mile. We loved the location! The hotel was fine, a basic budget hotel. Check reviews obviously to see how it is now. We had our kids with us and we loved the location as it was so easy to walk everywhere, and if the kids got tired, we could easily go back to the room. There is a fantastic tea shop right by it. DS went back there last year as he remembered it from when he was a kid, and he said it was still good
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Edinburgh is highly walkable and the best areas to stay in IMO are
-The New Town (George Street)
-Around Waverley Station, which is Princes St (parallel to George st and a few minutes walking from it)
-The Old Town, where the Royal Mile and the castle are located (Few minutes walk from Waverley Station). The station can actually be accessed from Princes st or the Royal Mile. Princes st is the main shopping street
-Haymarket which is on the other side of the old town and, although considered central, is a bit isolated for my taste.

For me the royal mile was too busy all the time. I prefer staying in the New Town or around Waverley Station.

Wherever you stay, count on walking a lot. The streets are steep, the setting is very dramatic. Edinburgh is gorgeous with amazing eateries.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 11:48 AM

We rented an apartment through Tripadvisor. It was right on the Royal Mile, just over the Edinburgh Rabbies office and across the street from a decent breakfast place.

Aside from the fact that it was up two flights of stairs and my spouse has problems with climbing stairs, it was perfect--had a sleeper sofa in the TV room in case I was snoring too loudly, a big dining room, bathroom, and washer/dryer.

If you try this, use the "vacation rentals" option on Tripadvisor.
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this suggestions folks.

I know budget should be something I should have included but honestly, I'd like to see the options high or low budget in general or just the area I should try to stay in despite costs.

The suggestions that folks have provided is VERY helpful as I'll start looking into those places and see what makes sense from a budget perspective.

It's a different approach and I didn't want to limit where to stay because it's cheaper. Of course if it works out that way then the better.

In either case, thanks everyone!
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 06:39 AM

We stayed at the Apex at Grassmarket. It is in the shadow of the castle, close to the museum and several great restaurants. It is uphill to the Royal Mile, but downstream on the way home.;-)
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 11:32 AM

I have been going to Edinburgh for a number of years and for the past several years have stayed at the Balmoral. The hotel is excellent but really doesn't fit most budgets. Janisj gave you the best area for hotel locations. Both New Town and Old Town are good. I have stayed in both and it's apples or oranges. Here are a couple of moderately priced hotels that might work for you.

edinburgh.frasershospitality.com

www.staycentral.co.uk

Also ira's suggestion of 14 Hart St. is a popular choice.

You certainly don't have to pay Balmoral rates to get a good location and a nice hotel. In fact, this year it seems prices at the Balmoral are higher than I've paid in the past, so looking elsewhere and finding some good options.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm kinda surprised the usual "WHEN are you going to be there?" was never asked since we know that certain times of the year greatly influence both hotel prices as well as availability.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 12:48 PM

It doesn't matter if one is going in March or in August or over Hogmanay -- the best 'areas' would be the same. Which is what the OP asked.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
historytraveler, I like staycentral. Did you stay there? I suppose if we missed the weekends we would miss the stag and hens but they do ask for quiet hours.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Scottish friends found us an apartment in the Castle Terrance area (between Old Town and Haymarket)with a view of the castle. We loved the location as we walked everywhere: Princes Street Garden, to the restaurants and shops of Princes and George Streets, Grassmarket, the Royal Mile...even to Holyrod Palace, the Parliament Bldg. and Carlton Hill! It was much cheaper than a hotel and allowed us to make breakfast, have some snacks on hand, bring back leftovers and reheat, have wine/cocktails before dinner and wash some clothes! Very important!
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 04:25 PM

Here is TR excerpt describing our stay at 14 Hart.

14 Hart Street – Another gem. I have paid 5 quid to visit homes that did not match up to 14 Hart. This B&B is elegant, and artistically decorated with lovely antiques, beautiful prints on the walls, and fine plasterwork. Everything about 14 Hart reflects a refined taste. Sleeping rooms are semi below ground level. Ours was bright and had character with a fireplace, an antique marquetry fireplace screen and a very pleasant view of the garden. In contrast to the traditional decor of the sleeping room, the bathroom was large and very modern with a tower shower that I wish I had at home. The bed was comfortable with quality linens. Towels were of the best quality. Our room greeted us with a decanter of scotch and bottles of both red and white wine, an assortment of biscuits, as well as a welcoming note from the hosts - a different touch that was appreciated. Our hosts were still at school teaching and they arranged for a gentleman to get us settled - he asked if we would care for and early afternoon cuppa and brought fresh milk. It was altogether a brilliant place to spend four nights.

14 Hart is in a New Town residential neighborhood chock full of restaurants and pubs. We particularly enjoyed the food at the nearby Urban Angel. It is an easy walk to both the Waverly train station and an even shorter walk to the bus station. Princes Street was a pleasant ten minute walk, and the Royal mile about another 5-10 minutes past that.

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. The porridge was particularly good as was the fresh fruit salad - different each day.

As in any B&B, it is the hosts that define the experience. James and Angela were the perfect hosts and we much enjoyed most interesting evening conversations with them. James is a teacher of Tudor History, while Angela teaches Greek and Latin. Nothing was too much trouble.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Macross, I've not stayed there but have friends that liked it.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I like staying off the Royal Mile. I usually rent a flat for a week and supplement my stay at hotels. I've stayed at the Apex Waterloo by Calton hill, then by the Royal Mile at Fraiser Suites, Balmoral and Radisson Blu. I've liked the Fraiser Suites the best.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 06:57 PM

I've stayed at Fraser Suites a couple of time -- the location absolutely cannot be beat,