Edinburgh Lodging Suggestions

Dec 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Edinburgh Lodging Suggestions

I will be traveling alone (female) to Edimburgh by train from London for four nights in April as a last minute add-on. Looking for quaint, interesting centrally located lodging. Haunted preferred! Suggestions???? Not sure where to start! Thanks
Dec 8th, 2008, 05:47 PM

As long as you drop the "quaint" bit from your vocabulary - we can help

But before anyone can give useful suggestions we need to know your budget.

Haunted? Do you really want to be kept up all night by restless spirits????
Dec 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

OK...I'll drop the quaint....how about....looking for centrally located lodging in Edinburgh? Your help is appreciated! Thanks
Dec 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention budget........3 to 4 stars range. B and Bs...great!
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM

OK, we know what quality level you're looking for now, but you still haven't addressed your budget!
Dec 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Budget???? OK...How about I throw out around $100 a night? Have no idea what is realistic.......actually....I wouldn't mind staying out a bit if easy access to public transportation. Budget isn't the major issue.....looking more for an interesting experience. Not big on luxuries.....
Dec 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM

there are lots of B&B's in the city,this one is one of the highest rated,don't know if it is of any interest to you.
http://www.geraldsplace.com/
this link will also give you lots of info on Edinburgh B&B's and guest houses.
http://www.scottishaccommodationindex.com/edinburgh.php
can't garuntee any hauntings but plenty of ghost tours you can go on.
http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/o...ile-tours.html
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:15 AM

Janis wrote" As long as you drop the "quaint" bit from your vocabulary - we can help

Judging from the pictures of these recommended properties, Janis, I think that it is safe to describe many of them as being " quaint".
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Try 53 Frederick Street or 14 Hart Street for B&Bs. Both are walking distance to Prince Street, with very nice proprietors and accommodations.

If you want a hotel, try the Glasshouse. It is boutique-y and very nice.
Dec 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM

You're unlikely to get 4* for $100pn but that will get you accommodation for one at just about any B&B, even the most luxurious in the New Town (the central Georgian area), good for walking to everywhere, pubs, eating out, etc.

Here are some recommendations I drew up for someone else looking for budget accommodation not long ago...

£50pppn is standard for a nice B*B right in the centre - it then gets cheaper the further out you go. If £50pppn is within your budget look at the options on Abercromby Place, Northumberland Street and Dundas Street, all in the New Town (Gerald's Place is on Northumberland Street and I slightly know the owner, who is an interesting character). The Walton Hotel on Dundas Street got a vg review here recently & the position is quite good - at the bottom of the hill, though, you you may want to get buses up into town.

I hadn't heard of 53 Frederick Street which someone recommended last time and Jeff recommends here) but it is in the New Town so very central.

A little further out are areas like Tollcross, Bruntsfield & Morningside which are all convenient. There's one in Tollcross which I've read really good things about here but can't remember the name - anyone ? Two Morningside B&Bs run by nice people I know slightly are One Albert Terrace (not the one in Musselburgh which is much further out) and Pringle's Ingle.

A bit further out again and to me slightly less fun areas but on good bus routes are these roads which have lots of B&Bs (each row is basically all the same road but with different names, in increasing order of distance out) -

1) Haymarket Terrace / West Coates / Roseburn Terrace / Corstorphine Road / St John's Road

2) South Clerk Street / (Newington Road / Minto Street / Mayfield Gardens / Craigmillar Park) or Dalkeith Road.

The Beverley which another poster stayed in recently and recommended is just off Roseburn Terrace.

I wouldn't recommend staying any further out, and with your budget I'd try for the New Town.

The budget hotel chains Premier Travel Inn and Ibis are fine, I've stayed in them myself and there are several in the city centre but they don't have the character you seem to be hoping for.

Just a thought though - this won't be over Easter, will it ?
Dec 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Quaint it ain't?

I would describe the B&B that i stayed in in Edinburgh QUAINT - a neat old stone building. Some lodgings are quainter than others.

Holiday Inn vs a cozy guest house for example.

But Brits on Fodor's often want to vomit when Americans use the word quaint - they do not consider what we consider to be quaint quaint.

As for Janis though she lives in quaint San Francisco area i believe.
Dec 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Nothing wrong with quaint. Its funny but I never think of San Francisco as quaint but I am sure that there are areas that are quaint. Furthermore, knowing Janis, I cannot imagine her not living in a quaint area.
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM

1) PQ gets it wrong every time -- Once again - maybe you'll get it this time - I don't live in SF

2) travelme does NOT know me at all. If s/he would quit looking for threads to post stupid "retorts" and actually posted something helpful -- well, it would be the first time . . . .

That out of the way -- kokjo: I said it in fun - but to explain my "no quaint" warning -- quaint means something different in the UK. It essentially means "twee" and is quite condescending to describe places as "quaint". To many in the UK it sounds like one is likening their house/village/town/country to a theme park. I was trying to help you out - as opposed to PQ and travelme who just like to pick . . . .

If you are fit and can climb a lot of stairs this B&B is probably the best located in all of Edinburgh, and it fits in your budget. (not for anyone who is out of shape though due to the many stairs)

http://www.castleviewgh.co.uk/
Dec 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I enjoyed a week at the Dene Guest House, http://www.deneguesthouse.com/, last April. Great breakfasts, friendly hosts, and excellent position for public transportation:

#23 and #27 stop just around the corner, going up Dundas St.

The #36 stops at Waverley Bridge (the train station) and coming from Waverley stops just around the corner on Dundas St. When you are headed to the Waverley Bridge the stop is right across the street from the Dene's front door.

Several other solo female travelers (and some traveler guys, and couples, too were there the same week as I was. Cheers.
Dec 9th, 2008, 11:52 PM

Actually PalQ, we find Americans' use of the word 'neat' quite bizarre too, as in "a neat old stone building"

As well as Janis's description of how "quaint" can sound to us, it can also mean old-fashioned (not in a good way). For example if someone expressed a very outdated view on something, we might say "how quaint" !
Dec 10th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Now I am convinced that Janis lives in a quaint area. How nice for her. It suits her well.
Unfortunately, she has a hard time when people have an opinion or a perspective that is even slightly different than hers. She tends to quickly dismiss others points of view.
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:52 AM

You are wrong, travelme. Janis knows the UK extremely well - better than me, probably - and is just offering the benefit of her vast experience and knowledge.

Janis, I forgot about the Castle View. You're right about it being the best location. It was up for sale last year but I never heard what happened & it still seems to be in business.
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Yes Janis is THE consensus British expert on Fodor's - i and many others say that - even Brits don't hold a candle to her - especially on accommodations - hard to believe someone knows as much as that about British accommodations as she has proved - but you have to take her 'attitude' that many find abrasive with her font of knowledge and if you dare disagree then she takes her ball and goes home. Her way or the highway so to speak.

Yes, quaint to the British is not something they like to hear from Americans but this is an American forum and Janis is an American who is a British Wannabee and thus effects the British use of the word quaint.

All Americans know perfectly well what someone means by quaint - Holiday Inns are not quaint but cozy guest houses will be in the American use of that word.
Dec 10th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Interesting how once again when one tries to enlighten/educate, they come under attack. There was certainly nothing dismissive about janis's comments.

Dec 10th, 2008, 06:59 AM

"this is an American forum"

So should the rest of us go home, then ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO