Ballot for playing Old Course

Old Mar 11th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballot for playing Old Course

My husband and I will be in St Andrews for 3 days in June. As a single golfer, he intends to get to the course before dawn to see if he can get in with a two or three player group. I know that they also offer a ballot but there has to be two golfers in order to participate.
My question is this: Is there an online forum or location where single golfers can connect with others to form a twosome to qualify for the ballot?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 11th, 2017, 09:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Being a single -- and being there 3 days he shouldn't have a problem (especially if they are 3 weekdays)

I have yet to ever take friends to St Andrews who were not not able to get on as a single. (there were a couple of exceptions but we knew there were special circumstances those times)

I have taken single players maybe 6 times over the years and each got on the first day they tried. (two other times I took twosomes but I had got them tee times in advance)
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj for your encouragement. May I say I have appreciated your sound advice in the forums as I plan for our trip to the UK. You have been a big help!
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You're welcome . . .

One thing to double check to be sure . . . look to see if there are any club events/competitions scheduled the days you are there.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, janisj, I did that; but not until i had already planned out an itinerary! I had to rework the trip around the 3 days the old course is open during our stay and re-book some hotels, inns and b&b's but it's done!

To be honest, I never thought he would have a chance of getting on such a renowned popular course until I started really looking into it. But hopefully, Hubby will soon be able to mark something off of his bucket list!

Thanks again!