Edinburgh lodgings

Apr 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Edinburgh lodgings

Plan to stay for a few days in Edinburgh. Any suggestions on where to stay, there are four females in the party so I need a large room to fit the four of us. I'm hoping to also park the car and walk or use public transportation. Thanks in advance
Apr 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM

geniemom,

Can you give an idea of your budget & when you are visiting?

Jim
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

I will be there June 16-18. There are four of us(Mom, sister and my daughter and myself). Don't usually go for the 5 star hotels, need something nice moderate price and hopefully near the downtown area. Is this too much to ask for or is it really pricey there. thanks
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Not to beat a dead horse - but what is your budget?

"Moderate" really doesn't tell us much -- one person's moderate could be someone else's really expensive or really cheap.

how about a number? Assuming you will need two hotel rooms unless you rent a flat.

There are really two "downtowns" in Edinburgh. The Old town - the medieval part up by the Castle. And the New town (but still 200+ years old) north of Princes Street.

But if you have a fairly low budget you can stay a bit farther our - Edinburgh has excellent bus service.
Apr 20th, 2005, 04:14 AM

We stayed at a Travel Inn. They have family rooms. It wasn't too far from Edinburgh Castle. It was well priced, safe, clean and a great value. I'd stay there again.

GJ40
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:13 AM

My sister and I stayed at The Carlton hotel. It is located between Prince Street and the Royal Mile in between Holyrood Palace and Edinburgh Castle. The location is on the bridge which is great if you want to take the bus into town from the airport. I would say it's about a 3 star. If you stay here, ask for a room high up because if you're on the lower floors, you may hear road traffic. http://www.paramount-hotels.co.uk/de...otland/carlton. I booked a good price from www.totalstay.com.
Apr 20th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Will you definitely have a car with you ? Parking would be awkward at any of the city centre hotels. (Normally I'd recommend the Ibis in Hunter Square as a budget central option, but parking's not easy there.) If it's a hire car, could you pick it up when you leave Edinburgh, or drop it off when you arrive ? Where are you coming from/going next ?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:56 AM

Try The Borough Hotel
www.boroughhotel.com
Boutique type hotel in a converted snooker hall in Scotlandís capital, Edinburgh. Great bar! Great staff! The most amazing bed we have ever slept in! They have these magic matresses made of some kind of lycra (?) material which are just divine. Small rooms and the hotel is a little bit of a distance from the city centre but we didnít find that a particular problem. The bar is all leather lounges and low lighting with the residents rooms upstairs. They were really nice to us trying to get web access working but failed pretty dismally. Good cocktails and well priced.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:12 AM

luckykat: interested to hear the rooms at the Borough are nice - I've never heard of anyone who stayed there before. We used to live quite nearby and those cocktails were just too tempting !

I wouldn't say it's that far out of the centre and it is near quite a good bus route.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:16 AM

Haven't styaed there but it's had some good reviews.