Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Rue Des Ecoles treasures, hidden or otherwise?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Parisgirl

Hello all. I will be staying at the Hotel St. Jacques at 35 Rue Des Ecoles from this Friday through next Tuesday. It's my first trip to Paris! I thought that the "Good Cafes and Restaurants on Rue Cler of the 7th <a>rr in Paris" post below garnered some excellent advice so I was hoping I could get some of the same for my location. Cafes, restaurants, shops, etc.; all suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you so much -- I will of course post a full trip report when I return home, this forum has been very useful.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Bree

Brasserie Balzar, a classic Parisian brasserie that's been around forever, is just down the street from your hotel, at 49 rue des Ecoles. You'll also be very close to the Cluny, which is one of my favorite museums in Paris (don't miss the unicorn tapestries on the top floor). Also nearby, on rue de la Parcheminerie, is the Abbey Bookshop, a small Canadian bookstore that has a very friendly staff and many books in English. <BR><BR>By the way, unless I'm mistaken, the Hotel St Jacques is the hotel where several scenes in the movie Charade were supposed to have taken place. Be sure to give my regards to the ghosts of Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Christina

That is the hotel in Charade. I stayed in that area once -- there is a street market at place Maubert a couple days a week, Sat. and one other FYI. As I recall, it's mainly food, though, so not that good for people not cooking. I like the cafe just behind the place (to the south) for breakfast. Aside from Balzar, I'd recommend Chez Rene, a good small typical French restaurant/bistro at 14 bd St-Germain.<BR><BR>For shops, if you interested in food/wine/cooking, there is a great specialized bookstore called Librairie Gourmande at 4 rue Dante.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM
lizbeth

Parisgirl,<BR>type in &quot;Maison du Vanille&quot; in the search function. You'll see an earlier message from me describing a tea salon the the Rue Cardinale Lemoine, close to the street you are seeking info on.<BR>Go there, eat something with a wonderful sauce, and warm yourself with a vanilla-infused coffee. You'll love it.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Mike Shaw

Hi Parisgirl,<BR>Hope you enjoy your stay in paris. Your location is very good for getting around by foot or metro. I second the recommendation of Chez Rene, and add Mpulin de Vent-Chez Henri which is a nice restaurant on Fosses St Bernard, Atlas for Moroccan food (across from Chez Rene) and Rotisserie du Beaujolais, which is on the street running along the Seine, Left Bank, about parallel to your location. You may need a reservation, it had some very fine roast chicken. Also, hidden away in your neighbourhood is the Arene de Lutece, a real roman arena, which is a nice place to go to eat lunch and some &quot;patisseries&quot;.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR>Mike

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Ira

Hi,<BR> If you go to http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/<BR> you can stroll the neighborhood.<BR><BR> Your hotel has a restaurant, Le Saigon, attached.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Nikki

Maison Kayser is a terrific bakery on rue Monge between rue des Ecoles and Place Maubert. You'll know it by the line out the door.<BR><BR>I loved dinner at La Maree Verte on rue de Pontoise, which was recommended by the concierge at the Familia Hotel.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:21 PM
john

<BR>You'll be in my old neighborhood near Place Maubert. I bought my groceries at the market there and cooked in my tiny apartment. On weekends I would often go to the Cave Huchette on rue de la Huchette for drinks and dancing in the cellar. For an unpretentious but very nice and affordable Parisian dining experience go to the Bistro de la Gare at Montparnasse. Shops? BHV is a big place just north over the Seine and has everything, sort of like the Sears of Paris. You are really in the wrong neighborhood for &quot;shops&quot; -- as in spend everything you can. The Shakespeare &amp; Co. English language bookstore is also over on r.d.l. Huchette overlooking the Seine and Notre Dame. Boulevard Saint Michel from the quai to Boulevard Saint Germain is lined with bookstores, and a few cafes. Walk up rue St. Andre des Arts from Place Saint Michel to St. Germain des Pres for some famous cafes. You can't have a bad time.<BR>John Bermont<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:53 PM
ita

Bistro Cote de Mer on St.Germaine and Rue Cardinal Lemoine is an excellent seafood restaurant-be forwarned it is pricey, but well worth it

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Maubert

Don't know if you'll read this before you leave today, but you're staying in a good location. To add to what others have said, you're also close to several book &amp; music stores, the rue mouffetard mkt is just a few blocks up, the maubert mkt. is open 3 days a week now (Tu/Th/Sat), plus it's set right in front of a string of small specialty shops -wine/cheese/bakery/meat/deli/cafe/fruit &amp; veggie/fish. In another direction you're very close to ND/Ile de la Cite.<BR>Bon Voyage! And do try to get to the bakery the other poster mentioned..it's my favorite too.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Parisgirl

Thank you! I'm leaving shortly and I have printed out your suggestions to read on the plane. . .Happy Thanksgiving!