Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Restaurants around Hotel Delavigne in the 6th

Restaurants around Hotel Delavigne in the 6th

Mar 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Restaurants around Hotel Delavigne in the 6th

Two weeks to go and counting for our romantic Parisian getaway!

I'd love some recommendations for casual, comfortable restaurants around the Hotel Delavigne. My DH and I are very casual people, but enjoy good food. Also, are there any street markets close by where we could shop for a picnic lunch?

Thank you!
Mar 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Hi
I stayed at the Delavigne in January and was very happy, especially since we didn't care for our first hotel which was just up the same street.

Just around the corner where rue Casimir Delavigne turns onto rue Monsieur-le-Prince, is Chez Maitre Paul. If you do a search on it here by name, you will find nothing but positive comments I believe. We thought it a very good value, they have a prix fixe menu in addition to a la carte. The two most often recommended dishes are the chicken in Jura wine, and the chicken with a gratinee cheese sauce (the latter is on the prix fixe menu.) In the evening we saw younger people casually dressed, and with quiet babies ( no jeans I don't think) and a couple of business people in suits.
There were smokers. I'd suggest a reservation a day in advance.

About a pleasant 20 minute walk away is Le Perraudin, one of our favorites.
157 rue St-Jacques, closed weekends I think. They had a 28 euro menu. We had escargots, boeuf bourgignon, Evian, a half bottle of Beaujolais, and for desserts, profiteroles and tarte tatin. The food was very good, the atmosphere like a typical French bistro that you’ve seen in movies—checked tablecloths, etc. Very pleasant service. Casual dress was fine, one young couple was in jeans (great looking jeans). We liked this place a lot and I hope to go back. It's a small place, I'd suggest reserving same day.

There is a food market on rue de Buci in the 6th. Pack your own paperplates, plastic utensils, and corkscrew in your checked luggage.
Mar 30th, 2005, 07:31 AM

When I stayed near that hotel five years ago, I enjoyed the Bastide d'Odeon very much, it's just down the street. Also enjoyed Chez Maitre Paul, which many people on this board mention, although I was less enthusiastic than some. Also quite close is Polidor, which is a very casual place with people seated at long tables and fairly inexpensive prices.

There is a street market at the corner of rue de Seine and rue de Buci. Great cheese store, bakery, lots of picnic possibilities.
Mar 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I'm not sure where the Hotel Delavigne is but if it is near Bastide de Odeon, that is a great choice. The 6th is not very large so you won't be far from L'Epi Dupin on the rue Dupin, one of our favorites.
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:26 AM

It's on rue Casimir Delavigne,about a 5 minute walk from the Odeon metro stop
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

We are from Seattle where a nice pair of jeans can take you pretty much anywhere to eat so it sounds like we may need to step up our wardrobe a bit. I'm hoping to pack light so I can save room to bring back lots of goodies.

Thanks again
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Tyr23-
On tuesday,thursday and saturday from 8/9am until 1 there is a wonderful small street market at the PLace Maubert right on the Blvd. St. Germain. It is on the corner of the rue des Carmes and St. Germain in the 5th and it has a wonderful variety. ALso in the square there are several stores that sell wonderful pastries, breads, sandwiches and prepared foods to take out along with wines, cheeses and fresh fruits and veggies. I like this one in addition to the rue du Buci, people are friendly and very helpful. Good restaurant on small side street, La Lozere serves delicious and well priced food. It is tucked on a back street close to St. Severin church going towards the Seine. ALso, close by St. Sulpice is Gerard Mulot where they sell the most exquisite desserts and goodies to take on a picnic. ALong Blvd. St. Germain closer to your hotel, the Cafe Mondrian serves simple food at decent price. More of a bar type atmosphere though. Have you read Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats in Paris? Good recommendations in her book too. Check out restaurant reviews on this formum as well.

Search this Thread