Suggestions for London please

Feb 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for London please

It seems that I will find myself alone and at a little bit of a loose end in London (well actually in Surrey) for two days over Easter (Saturday and Sunday) before flying out early Monday morning and am looking for tips on what I can do to occupy myself for two days. I have been to London several times before so I have done most of the normal touristy things and, as a result, am looking for something else to do that I can do by myself and also that won't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions please?
Feb 6th, 2011, 12:37 PM

I could go back to the British Museum again and again and again!
Feb 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM

We attended the service at St. Paul's one Easter Sunday morning. It was lovely.
Feb 6th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Ditto, PRLCH, plus the Nat'l Gallery/Portrait/Tate/Royal Academy etc. for me. Not knowing what you've done before makes it a bit trickier. Fat Tyre Bike Tour? Thames Cruise? British Library? Pick up Time Out and see what's going on?
Feb 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Lots of free museums in London. I could spend a whole day at the V&A. The cafe serves an excellent lunch.
Plenty of parks you could walk through and take a picnic if the weather is warm enough.

What part of Surrey? You could take a circular walk that begins and ends at a country pub if the weather co operates. Take a kite to the Epsom Downs.
Feb 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Where in Surrey? Depending on that -- there may belots of things you could do w/o setting foot in London.
Feb 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will be staying in Byfleet and will be dependent on public transport.
Feb 8th, 2011, 02:20 AM

There are always new temporary exhibits at London museums. So even if you have been to all of them there is always something new, We were just in London last fall and are going again in March and I have a whole list of new things.Been to London once or twice a year for the last 40 years and always find new thing to do.
Feb 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Have you been to the Museum of London? It has gone through a refurbishment last year and is larger than ever. And it's free, although visitors advise buying the 5 GBP guidebook. Go to website and check it out. It looks interesting.

Have you taken a taken the Little Venice canal cruise (under 10 GBP) to Camden Town where you can visit the Camden Market?
Feb 8th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Have you done any of the London walks (www.walks.com)? They run walks 365 days of the year. And also do daytrips to places like Hampton Court Palace, Stonehenge, Bath, etc.

Check into the buses from Byfleet. Windsor isn't too far away. (Bus to Heathrow, bus to Windsor?) Nor is Winchester, a town I've been wanting to visit since I read a really good trip report here on Fodors.