London 3 Full Days January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to London w/ my husband for three days in Janauary. I have been and done the touristy things back a few years ago, but it will be all new to him. Any suggestions for a 3 day itinerary? We are yound and can shove a lot into a day. Any suggestions on local pubs to unwind at the end would be helpful as well. We are staying in Covent Garden Area.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:55 PM

We need to know what days of the week you will be in London, to suggest itineraries. Also, what do you most what to include?

With 3 days, I would still try to include two shows. http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/ is a good place to decide what you would like to see, http://www.theatremonkey.co.uk/ is a good place to figgure out the best seats and how to buy them. There is a TKTS booth in Leicester Square that sells discounted tickets if you are flexable in what you see and willing to give up the time to visit it the day of the show.

I think that even on a brief visit to London, your husband should take a ride on a Themes Ferry, and visit the Tower of London, British Museum and either Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's. Since St. Pauls is being worked on, make it Westminster Abbey.

Others will be along soon to talk about shopping

Keith
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:28 PM

I agree with Keith's suggestions and would add:
- the Imperial War Museum
- a couple of hours watching a trial at the Old Bailey
- maybe one of the theatre trips to include the Globe
- stroll through the National Portrait Gallery & Covent Garden
- tour underground Cabinet War Rooms
- if you love Impressionist paintings, don't miss the Courtauld Institute.

I'm not a shopper so can't help there. With so many pubs to choose from we tend just to visit those that look interesting, we rarely go back to a 'favourite'. So much ale, so little time...

Places I'd skip would include: Madame Tussaud's, Sherlock Holmes Museum, Tate Gallery, changing of the Guard, London Zoo. Just personal taste.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:30 PM

Dear Melis,
On of my favourite things in London is the fascinating Sir John Soane museum which makes a great day in combination with ice skating at Somerset House, visiting the Courtaul and then back to wherever you are staying in Covent Garden. It's all in walking distance and getting to the Soane museum will take you through the Inns of court and Lincoln fields which is interesting. A fun and very old pub on the Strand Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese would be a good place to stop for lunch.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones advice. I will be arriving in London at 7am on a Thursday and leaving Sunday sometime for a daytrip to Cambridge. I am really interrested in giving my husband a good taste of the sites (good suggestions - thanks)and then maybe hit some local areas/local pubs.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:37 AM

Hi
If you click near the top of this screen on Destinations and go to the London section you will find great suggestions for short visits to London.

When I plan a trip I try to plan my days by area. Do some research on what is open or closed on any given day.

You might think along these lines

One day
Trafalgar Square, and perhaps a stop
at the Nat'al Gallery or Nat'al Portrait Gallery
St Martin's in the Field church often has lunchtime concerts
Walk along Whitehall, stopping if you like at the Horseguards (there's a changing of the guard on most days at 11am), Banqueting House, Cabinet War Rooms. On to Westminster Abbey, walking past Big Ben. YOu could detour to the Tate Britain if you like.
You could end by walking through St James's Park, around Buck Palace, up through Green Park, ending on Piccadilly. You won't have time for all of these stops, but you could choose the ones that interest.

Another day:
Start first thing at the Tower, spend the morning. Walk or Tube to St Paul's Cathedral, explore some of the City.
From there head to the South Bank for anything like Imperial War Museum, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, etc.

Another day:
What else interests you?
The V & A Museum in South Kensington?
Theatre Museum in Covent Garden (I don't think much of it but many like it)
British Museum in Bloomsbury? British Library? Dickens, or Sherlock Holmes museums? Shopping in the food halls in Harrods or Fortnum & Mason or ...

Lots of store sales in January.

I have a long file on London, and a grid (organized by days and by areas)that I've worked out for my own upcoming short return visit to London.
If you'd like to see them, email me.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:38 AM

Hi Elaine,
I would love it if you could e-mail me your London file and grid. Is your e-mail accessible from Fodors? Thanks, Elizabeth
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 07:45 AM

elaine: I'd love to see your file too. Could you send it to [email protected]? Thanks!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:19 AM

Sorry I didn't indicate my email address
[email protected]

Please just send me a note there and I'll send the file
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:31 PM

We go to London often. The first day you might want to take a half-day bus tour just so he'll feel he has seen the major sites. After that -

We love the Imperial War Museum. My husband wanted to go and I didn't, but it was great. It's really more an anti-war museum, with terrific exhibits. We've been back twice.

The Borough Market, the best farmer's market I've ever seen, was fabulous.
It is only open on Friday's from 12 to 6, and all day Saturday. You can have your lunch there. It's at the London Bridge Tube stop. A great experience!

The British Museum, with its new atrium, is definitely worth popping into. The Victoria and Albert is charming, with a variety of things on display.

If you both like art, the National Gallery is wonderful. One good thing about museums in London: most of them are free, so you can do a quick visit and not feel guilty.

At night, the Covent Garden area and the theater district are very lively. Watch for pickpockets, and don't wear a shoulder-bag slung back.

We did take a ride on the new big wheel. It gives you great views of the city. (It's a completely tame ride.)

Dress warm or in layers - it can be damp - but it's always wonderful!

Sylvia