Only a short time in London. What to do?

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only a short time in London. What to do?

I will be traveling to London on business later this month. I arrive on a Wednesday morning with meetings scheduled for all day Thursday and Friday, then depart on Sunday morning. That leaves me with some time on Wednesday (assuming I have any energy after the overnight flight) and all day Saturday.

On a previous business trip (15 years ago) I was able to squeeze in a visit to the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey.

How would you suggest I use my free time this trip?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM

Take in a show in the West End. You can usually get tickets a few days in advance, and matinee shows on Saturday are good deals. There's always the Globe Theatre, if you want to give Shakespeare a go. Visit the Tate or the Tate Modern, if you're into art. There's often a recital or performance in St-Martin's-in-the-Field, and you can usually get tickets on the day. The London Eye is an option. If you've never seen the Changing of the Guards, go to B'ham Palace around 10 to get a good spot. This time of the year, the ceremony is performed every other day, so check to see if it'll be on Saturday. The British Library and British Museum are worth a visit or two. The best part about Museums is that you can leave them and go shopping, have tea, get a pint or what have you without feeling guilty that you've wasted a day--you have done something cultural, after all.

Check a web guide like www.thisislondon.com to see what's happening when you're there.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It ENTIRELY depends on what sorts of things you enjoy. Do you want to see the National Gallery, British Museum, V&A, the Imperial War Museum, the Cabinet War Rooms and/or the Tates, or do you want to shop, take a guided pub walk, ride the Eye. Your choices are pretty limitless - but give us an idea what sorts of things you like . . . .

I'd definitely go to at least 1 play or concert. You could probably squeeze one in on either thurs or fri night depending on how late your meetings last. And you could go to another show/concert on Saturday night (not a matinee because it will eat up too much of your already VERY short visit)

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:07 PM

west end show on saturday
you may check out this site to get some ideas
http://www.londontown.com/
London Eye can be an option, but weather bit foggy recently in London (just came back fr London 2 days ago), so u may not able to get good view from the Eye's cabin. Brtitish Musuem/ Tate can be your other options too, up to you of what you like...there re thousands of public houses in London, so you can just patronise some pubs for some ale
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM

I recommend the Cabinet War Rooms; they are absolutely fascinating. Also agree that the theater would be in order.