Search

Please help with London itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with London itinerary

Hello everyone,
The time is growing closer for my first trip to London and I am so excited! My husband and my best friend and I will be in London from May 15th-24th. They've pretty much left all the planning to me (ironic, since I've never been anywhere!) We'd like the plan to be a little loose so we can re-arrange at will. But I would like some structure so that we don't have 3 different agendas going and lots time wasted backtracking. I'm trying to 'mix it up' a bit and not be too heavy on one type of activity, like all museums, or all shopping etc. I've made them both give me a list of things that would break their heart to miss and put those in my plan first. I've been overwhelming myself with research and planning but when I look over my itinerary I still see a lot of bare spots!
Please help me fill in the holes! Keep in mind, the days in London are very flexible. Any suggestions are welcome; restaurants, churches, interesting walks, museums, parks etc. We like everything, are pretty adventurous, don't have physical limitations, will eat everything (maybe I shouldn't admit that) and are just so excited to actually be going to London that there won't be much that we won't like!
Thank You!

Day 1 - Arrive LHR noonish on Sat. Will have a car pick us up. Have afternoon/evening free. We know we'll be tired but we're staying near Victoria Station so we'll probably walk to either Buckingham Palace or Westminster Abbey.

Day 2 - Sun. Probably do the hop-on-off bus tour to get a feel for the city. Go to the Tower and perhaps go to TKTS and get show tickets for matinee? Or maybe Monday evening would be better for theatre?

Day 3 - Mon. British Museum. National Portrait Gallery.

Day 4 - Tue. Rent car for day trip to Bath and Stonehenge. Go to Bath first for lunch and a bit of walking about. Travel on to Salisbury and get to Stonehenge by 6:30 for Private Access already applied for and paid. (THANK YOU to whoever suggested this! It was the greatest to find out that we could actually get INSIDE Stonehenge without going through a tour company!)

Day 5 - Wed. This day is pretty much open. If day 4 went okay we may rent the car for another day and do another day trip. Or take the train to Hampton court. Friend is more interested in castles and manor houses than museums so maybe this day can kinda be for her.

Day 6 - Thur. Don't have a clue. Would love to find book stores and antique shops but don't know where to go.

Day 7 - Fri. Eurostar to Paris at 5:30am. Tickets already bought. Do the hop-on-off bus tour and just generally get a feel for the city. See one or two major sights but primarily just want to BE in Paris. Sort of a reconnaissance mission for future visit. Return London at 10:00pm.

Day 8 - Sat. Recover from day 7!! Make it up to husband for dragging him through Paris by doing London walks Beatles tour at 11:30. Afternoon/evening free.

Day 9 - Sun. Anything we've missed and just HAVE to see/do.

Day 10 - Mon. Leave LHR 3pm

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM
jenifer

I don't think I see Tower of London or London Eye on your itinerary. London Eye is something that some would not bother with, but you really do get spectacular views of London. Don't schedule it in at a particular time, though - go when it's a nice day so that you can see better.

And most people who've been would probably say that Tower of London is a must at least once! The history is amazing, and the Yeoman Warder tours are really fun. Go first thing one morning to avoid the lines.

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:40 PM

COmment on Day 5- we did Hampton Court Palace and loved it. Take the early train and be there at 9 when they open. The audio tour is about 90 minutes listening to all the extras and including the gardens. We were back in London by 1 pm. We bought take out at a local shop and ate on the train back to London in plenty of time to do other things.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM
PJKeay

For book shops go to Charing Cross Road. However, the very best place for books is the small town of Hay on Wye (its on the English / Welsh border about 50 long miles from Bath) A town FULL of old book shops!

My tips of things to try and do in London -

For a small gallery that is probably one of Londons best kept secrets go to The Wallace Collection - just off Oxford St - Free of charge (Franz Hals Laughing Cavalier and wonderful collection of Canaletto's). Most of London's Gallerys I find too big. This is a gallery that can comfortably done in about 2 - 3 hours.

The Tate Britain Museum (Wonderful Turner Collection)in Pimlico or if Modern Art is your thing Tate Modern is a must - its in a disused power station. (Both Free)

For views of London - the number 1 is the London Eye - The queues move really quickly - and despite appearances you're unlikely to have to wait more than an hour

Want to see some dinosaurs - go to the Natural History Museum.

St Paul's Cathedral - about £7 to get in, but after 4 its free (but you won't be able to go to the whispering gallery at this time) - After St Paul's you can walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern (10 mins)

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM

Camden Market would be good for Sunday morning, after this you can stroll to Primrose Hill for a great view of London on a clear day. Then walk through Regents Park, past London Zoo, through the gardens to The Serpentine.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM

I'd re-think your Sunday. There are VERY few play on Sundays - only 3 or 4 in all of the west end. And Sunday is the busiest, most crowded day at the Tower. You can go to the theatre any other day and have MANY more choices.

Sunday you could go to Hyde Park/Kens Gardens for the open air art show for about a mile along Bayswater Rd, hit Speakers' Corner and then do the hop-on-hop-off bus tour and a river boat trip. You could also look in Time Out for a concert on Sunday evening.

definitely try to go to Hampton Court Palace.

Then you can move the Tower to Thurs and still have lots of time for your book shops and antiquing.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! These suggestions are all great. I must have forgotten to mention the Tower and St Pauls. These two are definitely on the agenda. Janis, that's good to know about Sun being the busiest day for the Tower and not good at all for the theatre.
Sara's suggestion for Sun sounds very nice. I'll re-arrange accordingly.
PJ, Hay on Wye sounds like heaven to me! I?ve just got to see it. I'll have to put on my list for next time. The Wallace Collection sounds very do-able, though.
Lynn, I?ll now make Hampton Court a definite instead of a maybe.
All the help is greatly appreciated, I no longer feel quite so 'lost'.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:18 PM

You have obviously done your research. For a first timer your itinerary looks great. I had forgotten about the art show along Bayswater on Sundays but would recommend it. Afterwards stop for tea/coffee or a bit of lunch at the Orangery in Kensington Park.And definitely take the tain to Hampton Court. It's so much easier than driving.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 04:46 PM

You can buy tickets for the Tower of London in any Tube station. Just ask at the ticket window. What a great feeling to walk past all the people in line for tickets and walk right in when you get to the Tower.
Also if you are there at lunch or dinner time there is a Wagamamma noodle restaurant right by the main entrance to the Tower. Quick and relatively inexpensive meal spot.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Historytraveler! That art show sounds like just the thing I was going to ask about. I am interested in buying art from each place I visit (or each place I plan on visiting as I'm just getting started). Bless you!
And Kevdoy, I'm all for walking smugly past those line.
Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:11 PM

A few thoughts for you...

Plan on several shows if you like musicals or theatre at all. There are many excellent productions (though be aware of which nights shows are dark).

You might consider taking the boat cruise one way to Hampton Court.

Some other places to consider as time and interests indicate: Windsor/Eton, Greenwich, Imperial War Museum.

I would consider renting a car for the last two days and staying out in the countryside. If you are west of London, it would make the return to Heathrow simple, and it would give you a chance to see a bit at a more relaxed pace than your long Bath/Stonehenge day.

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 12:00 AM

Hi Chotzi: Your trip plans look great. Hope you have a wonderful time. My family and I are headed to Great Britain in July and had hoped to visit Stonehenge. Can I ask about more details re: the "Private Access" that you mention? Really appreciate it...
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 03:28 AM

Lj, if you do a search on Stonehenge or perhaps on Astral (the company that does after-huors Inner Circle tours) you'll find the past discussions that chotzi refers to. Basically, you can sign up for a package tour like Astral's or contact English Heritage directly.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Chotzi, I just got back from England last night and while it was my "umpteenth" trip there, I'm still glowing. Spring has sprung there & it's just glorious.

I agree with the advice you've gotten so far. I went to the Wallace Collection on this trip for the first time. It's awesome. But while it's smaller than the major museums like the British, Tate etc., I still found it to be a lot to take in (everything from paintings to arms & armor to sculpture, miniatures, porcelain). While I'm an avid museum goer, I find that one museum a day is about all we can happily absorb. So I'd say the British & the Portrait on the same day might be a bit much.

Since your friend likes manor houses, you might consider visiting Spencer House in London, Princess Diana's family home (although it's considered a palace). It's only open on Sundays. Here's the website.

http://www.spencerhouse.co.uk/history.htm

There are previous threads here on books & antiques (try searching books in london). You should consider going to one of the antique markets. Camden Passage in Islington (different from Camden market) has a lot of book dealers on Wednesdays as I recall-one of your free days, but these may be expensive books Islington is an interesting area of London though & might be worth a trip for a bit off the beaten track. Here's an article I found about it

http://www.britishheritage.com/bhocamden.htm

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:35 AM

We have skipped it the last couple of times in London but when I was there on business in early December, I went to the Victoria and Albert. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And, if it puts you in a museum mood, the Science and the Natural History museums are right next door.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lj,
I went to English-Heritage.org and followed the links to info on Stonehenge. Under Planning Your Visit, there is a link to info on Private Access. Inside there was a dowloadable application which I filled out and emailed to Helen Norman. It's funny, the application asks for details on what type of ceremony you wish to do. I was tempted to say that I wanted to dance naked under the moonlight while waving a live chicken over my head but I was afraid they might take me seriously! Note that this is not a tour so there will be no tour guide, just the freedom to wander about inside Stonehenge after hours with about 15 other people. Sounded pretty cool to me! If you want a tour I think Astral Tours is the way to go.
Here is the phone number and email address for Private Access info:
(01980) 626267
[email protected]

Good Luck and have fun!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Westminster Abbey is wonderful, and taking the verger's tour adds a lot to it. Also quite near are the Cabinet War Rooms that have been left as Churchill and the ministers used them during WWII. It was quite interesting, and the entrance/exit is at St. James Park which makes for a lovely walk. London poster par excellence says Her Majesty doesn't mind if you feed her ducks in the park.

I hope you have a great time. London is my favorite city.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:51 AM

I see I omitted the name of the terrific London poster--it's Ben Haines who has given so much information on this Board.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:03 AM

My favourite London Museum is the Sir John Soanes Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields.

It's small and eclectic: it was the family house of the architect who designed the Bank of England. In addition to beautiful C18th interiors and a fascinating gallery, it is also packed full of his extensive collection of "objets".

Best of all it's free as he left his house and collection to the nation!

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Hello again Chotzi: Thanks so much for the info. Have a great trip! By the way, the dancing naked w/ chicken idea sounded good to me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -