Suggestions for areas to stay in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be travelling with another couple to Paris in or around July of next year, and I was starting my research into where would be the best area to stay.

A little background on us...
All four of us are around 30, and it will be everyone's first trip to Paris. We are looking for a fun vibrant area that is fairly central to most of the major sites to see. We tend to walk, sight see, and generally just explore during the day, then a dinner out and a few drinks afterward. It would be great if we could find a central area with a nice nightlife (not 3am type nightlife), but nice restaurants, wine bars, street cafes, etc

We were lucky to find an area that was perfect for this same travelling group and that we absolutely loved in Rome last year when we stayed in the Campo De Fiori/Piazza Farnese area of Rome. A similar place in Paris would be perfect!

We are going to be renting a 2BR place for a week, budget would be in the $1500-$2500 range.

Thanks for any advice you can give and if I left any info out, just let me know!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM

The 5th and 6th arrondissements (Left Bank, St Germain/Latin Quarter) are good choices for a first time visit in that it has sights, restaurants, night activity, walking distance to other sights, and easy access to airport.

Let it be said though that the public transport system is very good, so if you are within the borders of Paris, you will have good transit options. But based on walking places, the 5th,6th, and even the 3rd and 4th are not bad choices. The 7th is as bit further out and 'quieter'.

There are lots of threads here on Pairs Hotels and Paris rentals. A search will yield treasure.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I agree with that, I'd just say you can't go too far wrong in the 5th, 6th or 4th arrondisements.

Your budget is kind of skimpy given the value of the USD vs. euro. At least the lower end is ($1500) for a 2 BR apartment (that is only about 160 euro a day or $200 a day, of course) in a prime area for something nice. Most vacation apt rentals do not have A/C, either, FYI. Some do, but they'll cost more. The $2500 is better.

I haven't used this place, but their rates are reasonable, I know, so just take a look at what they charge for a 2 BR
http://www.vacationinparis.com/infop/two_br.htm
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM

You probably do not need a third voice recommending the same arrondissements but truth be told, either the 5th or 6th are really perfect for your requirements.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
cw

I agree with the location recommendations above--

We've rented from both Paris Vacation Apartments and from Parisian Flat. I can recommend both and PVA now has a 2-bedroom in the 6th.

www.parisvacationapartments.com
www.parisianflat.com
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM

My husband and I (27 and 30) are going to Paris in March. We rented an apartment in the 6th and are VERY excited! We rented a studio from parisbestlodge.com and I would recommend you looking at Theirry's properties as well as the others, although he mostly has 1 bedrooms, but he often has friends that he rents for as well and he may have 2BRs not on the website. He is very highly recommended by many on "the net" and dealing with him has been a pleasure so far (we've signed the contract and sent deposit). I think 1500 for a 2 bedroom is totally do-able!

DH and I stayed in the 4th our first time in Paris and this time we decided on the 6th for something a little bit more lively. Although we LOVED the 4th too! Good luck!!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Hello! My husband and I (same age as you) went to Paris this past summer and stayed at the Hotel Saint Jacques in the 5th. It was a gem for a wonderful price! I am picky with hotels and for this price and the lovely decor of this hotel, you can't go wrong. We were able to get a room for 125 Euro and our balcony had a view of the Pantheon and Notre Dame. If you are interested, let me know and I can look up our exact room number. It was located in the 5th and was very central. If I had to pick another area, I would say near Luxoumboug Gardens (6th) or perhaps Lle Saint-Louis (4th) are other awesome locations.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Agree that 5th and 6th are great - close to a lot of sights (including a lot) many restaurants, cafes and small shops, very colorful and fun. Not sure about prices since we always stay in a hotel - but your budget does seem kind of low if you want 2 full bedrooms with double beds (many apts have twin beds in a 2nd bedroom - or a sofabed in the LR). But I'm sure others who have rented apts can make recos.

Be aware that most apts will NOT have AC - so you need to be comfortable with heat and leaving windows open to get some fresh air (which can also let in a lot of street noise). Do NOT rent a ground floor apartment without checking on the security of the windows - so you can be confident leaving windows open.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Have rented apartment in the past in the Latin Quarter

which was best but most expensive and the Marais which

was also nice a bit cheaper.

Careful many scammers touts tax cheats so

I always use only reputable agents

pay only with Paypal/CC

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM

I'll join the chorus for St. Germain/Latin Quarter. Do yourself a favor and get familiar with the metro before you arrive.

I think you could find something reasonable in the range of $2500.

BTW, if you do stay in an apt. in the St.G/LQ area, have breakfast one morning at Breakfast in America. We went in there almost by accident one a.m. and ran into a group of Scottish rugby fans who had been partying all night. It was quite a show, and you can get the basic American breakfast, if you have a hankering for it.