Search

Stupid question?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question?

I know this might be a stupid question but here you go:

I'm flying from Chicago to Italy in August. I've got a flight to Rome then to Milan. A 3 hour layover in Rome. My true destination is to Florence.

My sister and I are traveling together and we're on the same flight to Rome but different flights to Milan. She made the suggestion that why not get off in Rome and take the train to Florence. It turns out that the train ride from Rome to Florence is 1 hour less than Milan to FLR.

How pissed would the airline be? More importantly would they cancel our return tickets?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM

Why would you be going to Milan?

Are you going Chicago-Rome-Milan-Florence?

I think if you miss a leg, the rest of your tickets are cancelled by the airlines.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>How pissed would the airline be?</i>&quot;

Not pissed at all. They will cancel the rest of your itinerary and end up charging you the full priced, walk-up fare to get home. So they'll make a lot more $$ off you.

But seriously - I agree w/ vjpblovesitaly, why did you book through Milan to get to Florence?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM

You could call the airline to change your itenerary -- they will charge something in the neighborhood of $100 or more to do it, but it may be worth it to you.

I was able to cancel the second leg of a flight one time with no charge, and with no affect on the rest of my trip, but I did it at the desk while checking into my first flight. It might be worthwhile to ask about it when you check in.

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM
ira

Hi ny,

Do not just get off the plane in Rome.

You will create trouble for the security people as well as the airline.

What you are thinking of doing is called &quot;hidden city ticketing&quot; (I think).

Your return flights will be canceled.

Call the airline and see if you can arrange to termiate the flight in Rome.

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,

I thought this was true (i.e. cancelling the return flight) but it never hurts to ask... I'll try to do some manuevering on the day of the trip.

I'm flying into Milan b/c honestly that was the cheapest ticket. Even the train for 2 doesn't equal the amount I'd would have paid to just fly in and out of Rome or directly to Florence. So there you have it, maybe I'll run into a nice ticketing agent on the way to Rome!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM

I recommend that you talk to the airlines now instead of waiting for the start of the trip. That way, you will know what is possible. I imagine they will change your flight so that you can leave the plane in Rome but that they will charge a fee for the change.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM

Not only will your return flights be cancelled, your luggage will go on without you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM

&quot;<i>your luggage will go on without you.</i>&quot; I always forget about that bit (I normally travel carry-on only) - yes, not only are the other flights voided - your luggage will be sitting in Milan while you are in Rome/Florence.

If you are even considering this itinerary change - contact the airline and if the schedule fits - pay the change fee. Otherwise forget the whole idea.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They won't be pissed, but you will when they cancel the rest of your ticket
;-)

Seriously take the good advice above and change the tickets ahead of time, or proceed with your itinerary as ticketed.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM

The other thing you aren't seeming to figure into changing your plans is getting from the airport to the train station in Rome (compared to simply making a flight connection).
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM

Yes, suze, but I bet they'd spend the same amount of time getting from the Milan airport to Milano Centrale for a train to Florence. The connection through Rome would be faster. However, sounds like they are stuck with Milan to get lower airfare.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

True. I don't get the thinking myself and of course you're right about any airport to train station transfer. I would have kept looking or paid more to fly into the city that is where I wanted to be!! But that's just me.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:06 PM

Me, too. From my location in NYC, I would have opted for direct to Pisa or direct to Rome from the beginning, because I think those connections to Florence are simpler.

I hate sitting around an airport after an overnight flight, waiting three hours for the next flight. I'd rather keep moving, even if it's by train.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Well I wish I had all the wisdom and $$$ when I bought the tickets but I'm learning as I go!

So it's no big deal if we have to go on to Milan. I'll contact the airline to see how much they'd charge just to let us off. We plan on taking just carry-on luggage anyway. I bought the tickets at the beginning of the planning for this last minute adventure. Now that lodging is settled, I might have more room financially.

That 3 hour layover is going to be a killer...
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM

&quot;<i> I'll contact the airline to see how much they'd charge just to let us off</i>&quot;

You won't be asking for them to just &quot;let you off&quot; - you will be re-booking your flight into Rome instead of into Milan. That is why there is a change fee - you are changing what you booked.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I AM sympathetic with your situation. It's just not very good flight arrangements that you booked, is all. I'm not sure what's your choice now, or how much I'd be willing to spend to change what's already been done and paid for.

But for the future... no I wouldn't take a transatlantic flight, then a 3 hours layover, then another flight that not even to the city I'm trying to reach!! I say this with kindness and wish we were posting for you before you'd bought the plane tickets. all the best, suze
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM

It's been my experiece that you just need to tell them you won't be on that leg but will be traveling the rest of your legs/flights. Easy as pie. It's a bookeeping item with them...nothing more.