Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Paris on a 767 (did not have individual movie screens),returned from London on a 777 which did. Is the 777 the only type of plane that has the individual screens? Trying to find a 777 to Italy next winter and all I see non-stop from the US are 767's
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Hi Blondie,

It's going to depend on the individual airline as to whether the plane has individual movie screens. For example, I have been on 747s and 767 that havehad individual screens and on 747s and 767s that have not. The airlines websites or ticket agents might have this information.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:03 AM

We just flew on an Alitalia 777 from JFK to Milan, non stop, On our return flight from Rome it was a 767.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Depends on the airline. Continental has individual screens in Y on their 767s, but most other US airlines don't. Most 777 operators do have them.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM

as the others say - it isn't the model airplane that determines whether you get seat-back video -- it is the airline. Look on the website of whichever airline you are flying - that will tell you . . . .
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Gee, here I am lamenting the fact that I am going on a 777 next week, Continental from EWR-CDG b/c I've heard how crowded they are(actually,I've heard both good and bad--think it does have to do with the airline, not the plane model) and now it's possible we each have individual screens? (Even if we are crowded!)

Airbus 330 (USAirways) has individual screens.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM

How dull, holidays are about the places, the sights, the people, NOT seatback televisions - is all you Americans think about is sititng down watching TV?
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Detroit-Amsterdam and Frankfurt on Northwest on A330s with individual screens. A330s will fly from Detroit to Rome and Paris soon as well.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM
JN

Dear M_Kingdom:

Let's see if I have this right. One person poses a question about seatback tvs; you and 5 answer; and you rip all Americans for being overly occupied with TV? Nice leap.

We may, in fact, be overoccupied with TV, but for you to jump to that conclusion based on this thread is ridiculous. It would be similar to me concluding from your one post that "all you Europeans" are narrow minded and quick to jump to negative conclusions. Of course, like Americans and TV, you might be, but a thinking person might look for more data than a single post.

What's the moral of the story? No need to go out of your way to be rude. If an inoffensive post is on a topic not to your liking, I'd suggest you just keep your critical comments to yourself.

Have a great day. I'm going back to watch my 8 TVs.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM

I'm afraid I'm not afraid to speak my mind, I don't subscribe to "Have a nice day, even if I don't mean it" culture.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM

M_Kingdom

I too am surprised by the narrow focus of this thread on seat-back TV's. Far more important to me is the size and quality of the television in my hotel room when I arrive in Paris or London. Anyone can wander out and see Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower. But to set foot in a foreign capital after an 11-hour flight, plop down on that twin bed and treat myself to endless hours of the BBC or Canal Plus, now that's adventure.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 11:56 AM

A thin attempt at sarcasm, next please.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:06 PM
JN

M_Kingdom,
It's nice to know that you're not afraid to not be afraid to speak your mind--or whatever your intro sentence is meant to imply. But you've missed the point, haven't you?

No one disputes your right to be straightforward. Nor is it likely that readers of this forum will ever falsely conclude that you even remotely like a "Have a nice day" kind of guy (bet that's a huge relief). The point is, if the post isn't directed at a topic you are interested in, spare everyone the constant reminders that of your rudeness and save it for the folks at home. I'm sure they'll find it as charming as we do.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:39 PM

An individual monitor for a "short" trans-Atlantic flight like NYC-London may not be a big deal, but it is for longer trips like US West Coast to Paris or any trans-Pacific flights.

It's the difference between "long, but bearable" and "I'm about to kill someone" on a 15-hour flight.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:11 PM

M_Kingdom:

Thin sarcasm indeed. As if your inept little Oscar Wild act possessed a shred of substance. Seems you're no better at taking it than you are at dispensing it.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Maybe if the UK had decent TV to watch or more than three channels, the Brits would be into watching TV as much as the Americans.

But for your information, m-kingdom, people aren't watching TV on those planes, their watching films.

And your comment about not saying Have a nice day when you don't mean it just doesn't hold water. What you fail to realize is that many people really do mean it when they say "Have a nice Day". I know it's hard for you to imagine such a thing, but some people actually do like others to have a nice day. I suppose you spend your life saying "I hope you step in dog crap today"?
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
KT

"is all you Americans think about is sititng down watching TV?"

Maybe I'm crazy, but I usually do think about sitting down for about 12 hours when I'm flying to Europe. I've tried to focus on "the places, the sights, the people," but once I've checked out the upholstery on the seat back in front of me and the little emergency lights along the aisle, there just aren't too many sights worth seeing.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 03:52 PM

Delta doesn't have the individual screens on the 767's in coach. They do have them in BusinessElite. I think they do have DVD players for rent though during the flight. They have very small screens.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
padbrasher

Grettings Blondie,

Air France has individual screens on their Airbus 340 planes. Of course, you would have to connect through Paris to get to Italy...which is exactly what I am doing in 16 days. And I must agree with you that the individual screens help pass the otherwise boring 8 hours of flying overnight...most especially with children.

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Blondie,
although the following doesn't help with the question of entertainment options it does help you solve another important issue, seat layout.

www.seatguru.com is a wonderful way to check the seat configurations on various airlines and it even lets you know it's assessment of good and bad seats.

I've just booked tickets on United to London and using seatguru helped me ensure that I ended up on a flight with economy plus (on the 747 from SFO) rather than on the 777 flights where United still has to install economy plus seating.

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -