booking flights on several airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We notice that the cheapest fare if you are making several stops in europe often involves several different airlines ( eg Orbitz to london, to venice and back to boston). is there a potential problem with this if the first of 2 flights in a row is late? in terms of rebooking. etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:54 PM

If the flights are all on one itinerary, which they would be if you bought it through Orbitz, then the airlines are responsible for getting you there somehow, even if your first flight is late. But it's quite possible you could be delayed overnight, depending if that is the last flight of the day, etc.

If you buy two separate tickets, you are on your own when it comes to the second flight. Your experiences may vary. I recommend leaving as much time as possible, preferably an overnight, if doing this method.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
ira

Hi Joan,

Good advice from Will.

If you book each leg separately, leave plenty of time between flights.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:44 AM
Singletail

I'm sorry to tell you that being on the "same itinerary" doesn't necessarily give you much protection if within that "same" itinerary you are dealing with more than one airline.
For example, if you miss a flight connection because a flight you are on arrives late AND you are connecting to a segment ON THE SAME AIRLINE, then there are certain safeguards in terms of the airline putting you on the next available flight out, etc. However, if you are connecting to a different carrier there are possible complications.
For what it is worth I would contact the carrier(s) directly and ask...you may end up getting a bunch of weasel-word-filled mumbo-jumbo but I would NOT ASSUME anything in this sort of situation and try, if you haven't already, to build in some cushion time between flight.
Orbitz does not run airlines and is simply a booking service the airlines allow to market their (often) unfilled seats.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
ira

topping