Strasbourg Hotel Recommendation???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on staying at a hotel in Strasbourg for three nights in late April en route from Italy to Paris. Do you have a hotel to recommend that is convenient to both the TGV train station and the Petite France district? BTW, do trains arriving from Italy (via Basel, for example) arrive at the same station at the TGV for Paris leaves from? Many thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Gutenberg a few months ago. We also stayed there 3 nights.

It's about a block from the cathedral, surrounded by shops, restaurants and cafes. It's about a 5 minute walk to Petit France and a brisk 10-15 minute walk to the train station. You can also take a tram to the station.

I'm not sure about the train question, I'll leave that to the train experts here. But I'm assuming that they leave and arrive from the main station, which is quite large. But we all know what happens when one assumes!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM

We stayed at Hotel Cathedral in December '08 and liked it very much. It is right across from the Cathedral. We took the trolley from the TGV and it was not difficult at all.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I really liked the (cheap) Ibis right across from the train station, with a fantastic view of the plaza in front of the station and the glass bubble in which it has been enclosed.

The cathedral is still only a 10 minute walk away, or 3 minutes by tram.

And of course, nothing could be easier if you are taking the train. (There are 3 or 4 other hotels facing the station as well.)
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I stayed at the Hotel de l'Europe in Strasbourg which is right in the Petite France section, and really liked it a lot. I preferred that location to right next to the cathedral, and it is closer to the train station.
http://www.hotel-europe.com/

I still took a cab to the hotel from the train station with my luggage (it is in a pedestrian area but they allow taxis in), but you can walk it. I think the cathedral is about 1.5 km from the gare and the Hotel de l'Europe is 0.9 km. Of course the taxi didn't cost much for that distance.

There is only one train station in Strasbourg.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM

The SNCF station, La Petite France, and the Cathedral area sort of form a triangle.

While they are walkable between them as noted by Christina, it is a different story with luggage.

I stayed around the La Petite France. I took two day trips out of the SNCF station during my stay. I walked to the station for both times. For arrival and departure, I took taxis. The trams do not go close enough to the heart of La Petite France.

I thought the walk between La Petite France to the Cathedral area was a chore. Next time I would stay closer to the Cathedral, but not at the square, not at least in August, due to the music blasting in the square until 1am.