Strasbourg Hotel Info

Search

Strasbourg Hotel Info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strasbourg Hotel Info

My sisters and I will be taking a day trip by train from Paris to Strasbourg. We will leave Paris early in the morning, spending the entire day in Strasbourg and then heading back to Paris early the next morning. 1) Is there more than one train station in Strasbourg? 2) Is the train station close to the center of town? Can we walk with a very small suitcase? 3) Can anyone recommend a safe, clean inexpensive (or moderately expensive) hotel or B&B close to the train station?
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I would like to add to the above:
We would also consider a hotel B&B in the center of town by the cathedral if it turns our the train station is not too far away.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM

The Hotel Rohan is just across the street from the cathedral on a pedestrian street; it's moderately priced, clean, and comfortable, and couldn't be closer to the historic center.

www.hotel-rohan.com
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Ditto to the Rohan! It would be possible, but not especially pleasant to walk from the train to the Cathedral area. It is quite walkable w/o luggage. If you are intent on walking, can you manage an overnight w/just a large purse instead of a suitcase? Just a thought..
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:38 PM

My sister and I stayed at the Ibis about 3 years ago. It is directly across from the train station. It was clean, air conditioned, and nice staff. The breakfast was good, but it did cost extra. I remember thinking it was worth the cost. It is located a few minutes walk from the pedestrian center.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm planning to stay in Strasbourg in April, also arriving by train. There's only one train station, on the west side of town, and Strasbourg seems to have excellent public transport (www.cts-strasbourg.fr). I have a reservation at the Hotel Suisse, close to the cathedral, and plan to take the tram from the station.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM

From your description, I don't think the distance between your hotel from the station is a requirement. What you need is a place to stay overnight that you can get to the station in time for your early morning train back to Paris? This expands your choice of hotels.

Strasbourg has frequent tram services from various points in the city to the station. So as long as you are not far from a tram station, you should be fine.

You did not indicate when you are visiting. Last August, there was a nightly light and music show at the Cathedral square until 1am. If the noise bothers your and you are visiting Strasbourg in August, you might not want to stay around the square.
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM

I third Cardinal Rohan Hotel, its right acorss from the cathedral and easy to find.

Also, you can walk to the station, but the tram service is easy and cheap and will save you about 20 mins walk.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 16th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I highly recommend the Hotel de l'Europe which is in the charming Petite France area and much closer to the station than hotels around the cathedral. I walked to/from the station when staying at that hotel a couple times, but mainly for day trips when I didn't have luggage. I did take a taxi even there when I arrived as I wasn't sure where it was, and because it wasn't too far, it didn't cost that much anyway. So you are talking only a few euro per person probably that you would be saving. There are several hotels right near the station that could be a fine idea, though, I'd make it easy on yourself if you really want to walk to/from.

The Hotel de l'Europe is reasonable but not really cheap, if you want something more budget. It's a 3* hotel, but those are cheaper in Strasbourg than Paris.

I think it's a couple miles from the train station to the cathedral, but I don't see any reason why you want to stay there in particular, as there are plenty of decent hotels closer to the station. It's probably a lot noisier around the cathedral, also.