Arriving Amsterdam and Leaving London With No Idea What to Do In Between

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A girlfriend and I just booked a very last minute trip (as in leaving 10 days from now) and need to figure out what to do/see/eat. We've got a blank slate so far. We arrive in Amsterdam and leave from London two weeks later. Any suggestions? I realize it's a broad request but figure some of my fellow Fodorites have their list of "musts" that could be shared. We'd appreciate any advice you'd share.

THANKS!!
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM

A convenient trip would be to go to London, stay for 5 days, go to Paris, stay for 5 days, and go to Amsterdam, and stay for 4 days. All very easy by train. Look at eurostar.com and tgv-europe.com . This might seem very conventional, but these are three very popular cities for a reason.

If for some reason, you want to save money, the coach is also possible although it takes longer. http://www.nationalexpress.com for the London to Paris, and www.eurolines.com (or possibly .fr) for Paris to Amsterdam.

You could easily do one week London and one week Amsterdam, with daytrips (particularly in Amsterdam), and fly between the two.

You did not ask about accommodation, but I would use Priceline for hotel rooms in London and Amsterdam, definitely, bidding for a 4* in central zones, and quite possibly I'd do the same for Paris, to ensure a nice, air-conditioned room, although the Paris hotel would likely not be so central. See www.betterbidding.com .
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM

Oops, I see you are arriving in Amsterdam first and leaving via London. So just reverse my suggestions.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM

I also was going to suggest fitting Paris in there.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 03:00 AM

<i>my fellow Fodorites have their list of "musts" that could be shared</i>

Your first "must" is to do a search on Fodor's for Amsterdam, Paris, and London. That's the golden triangle of Europe and there are zillions of threads on Fodor's for each of those cities. Get some ideas on eats, sleeps, and sees. Then come back with specific questions.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Not knowing what your interests are makes it tough to recommend things, but I'll tell you what my husband and I recently did. We arrived in Amsterdam and stayed there for 3 nights. Stayed at the Hotel Brouwer and really liked the location. We aren't into museums, so we spent our time just walking the city, stopping in various bars for a drink, and just relaxing. We went in May, so we took part of a day to go to Keukenhof gardens. We also went to see the windmills at Zaanse Schans which was a fun little trip as we like to take lots of pictures.

From Amsterdam we took the train to Bruges for the night. Got there in the morning and spent the day walking around the town. Really enjoyed it at night when the buildings and canals are lit up. We stayed at Hotel Fevery which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the center of town. I know a lot of people like to spend several days here, but for us, one night was enough. We climbed the bell tower for a great view of the town the next morning. Left Bruges in the early afternoon and took the train to Brussels where we had to meet our reserved train to Paris. We had just enough time in Brussels to see the Grand Place and have a quick lunch of mussels & fries.

We spent 5 nights in Paris and loved it! Spent our days doing lots of walking, having picnics, drinking wine and just soaking in the city. We really could have spent more time in Paris but only had 9 nights total for this vacation.

You could do a similar plan as we did, just tack on London after Paris.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!! This is a great help to get started.