Stolen Residence Permit


Dec 16th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Stolen Residence Permit

I have a problem! I'm Russian, making my Master in Germany (have there residence permit). And now I make my exchange semester in Barcelona. A few days ago was stolen my wallet with this residence permit card inside. Problem is that I have flight 27 of December to Russia and 6 of January back to Barcelona. German consulate can not do anything here. they just send me the scan of my permit. But said that they can not guaranty that I will enter eu after. Does anybody had same or similar situation! Please I need advice!
Kotya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 16th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,405
Have you filed a police report?

Call the Russian Consulate?
StCirq is online now  
Reply With Quote
Dec 16th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,685
They know more than we will. You might consult an immigration attorney who will have more specific info.
nytraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 16th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 32,699
Why didn't you go back to where you got the residence permit in the first place? There must be some option for getting one reissued in case of loss (although it is suspicous). Now it may be difficult to get one in only a few days, but still, that makes the most sense to me.

From what I read, you are supposed to get that from your local Alien Registration Office in your university town. Why didn't you go there?
Christina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 16th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,534
If I understand the poster correctly (and I am not sure I do), the residence permit was issued by the German government in Germany, and the poster is presently doing an exchange program in Barcelona. So it was not illogical of him to go to the German consul in Barcelona. It appears the German consulate has the ability to get a scan of the document, but not to produce an official government document.

Talking to your school administration and a lawyer might be helpful but I am also wondering: What happens if you cancel your trip to Russia? Is that possible? You'll still need to get a replacement document of course, and you will probably need to temporarily carry around not only the scan of it but other papers (like the Police report, your school enrollment, support from the Russian consulate -- whatever will help) but if you can't get more reassuring answers about your re-entry, consider spending the holidays in Barcelona until your residency permit issues are resolved.

All the best!
sandralist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 16th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,827
Not that I don't think this a little strange, but one would think that, with a copy of the permit, a phone call to the issuing agency should take care of everything. But why the OP would bother to post on Fodors is a question.

If the OP doesn't have a visa, they will not be allowed back into the EU.
Robert2533 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 17th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,534

If you have such difficulty understanding other travelers, especially people who are not American, and know so little about travel documents (as your post indicates in spades), I'm left wondering why you hang out so much on a travel advice board.
sandralist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Dec 17th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,332
The "permit" is in fact an ID card with a chip. So a scan or copy will probably not be a full replacement.
From what the internet says, you need to contact the nearest office of the Federal Agency for Migration - in Germany, not Spain, obviously. And the replacement can take weeks, says the website.

What bugs me is that the consulate has been unable to give you guidance on how to proceed. THEY should know, and it may be best to contact them again and insist that they tell you what the next steps are. Or contact BAMF directly via the website if the consulate is too stupid. The problem is that regular ID documents like citizens' passports or ID cards are handled by a different authority in Germany than the one for perm or temp migration. So it *can* very well be that the consulates or embassies are unable to produce such documents.
Cowboy1968 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 PM.