Getting to Trieste from the VCE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Trieste from the VCE

Hi all...

Starting to think about a May trip...Paris & Venice, with Trieste

Since I am using miles, it looks like my only reasonable option is to fly into Venice (from Philadelphia) and fly home from Paris...the other way requires a lot more miles.

We are investigating spending a few days in Trieste...the number of days yet to be determined. It seems, therefore, that the most efficient thing to do is to do Trieste first...then to Venice.

Here is my question:

What are the options for getting from VCE to Trieste without wasting time going in to Venice to get the train a Santa Lucia. I assume a bus/taxi will get me to a nearby train station along the line. What is a good station at which to get on the Venice-Trieste train? Are there buses from VCE that would go directly to that station?

Thanks.
ssander
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

One more thing...

The Trenitalia site shows the train stopping at Mestre and Quarto d'Altino...so those seem to be the best stops to get on the train.

They look about the same distance from the airport...so, while waiting for a reply, I'll take a look at the bus situation.

ssander
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 06:18 AM

Yes, there are buses.
Bus or taxi from VCE to Mestre.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Looks like there is a frequent bus to Mestre FS...and nothing to Quarto d'Altino...so that's the way to go.

(I probably answered my own question...but I appreciate any and all comments/suggestions.)

ssander
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 07:00 AM

It's 50 min by bus from VCE airport to Portogruaro railway station (Fare 11 EUR) and 70 min by train from there to Trieste (Fare 9 EUR).
If there is no Portogruaro bus at the time you need, travel via Mestre (bus at least every 30 min, journey time 20 min, fare 8 EUR) and go on by train (2 hrs journey, fare 13 EUR).
http://www.atvo.it/it-venice-airport.html
You may also take a taxi to Quarto d'Altino, a railway station 14 kms (highway) from the airport and board your Trieste bound train there (journey time 1 hr 40 min; fare 12 EUR).
Train departures at Venezia Mestre: every hr from 9.53 until 19.53, except 11.53, from Quarto d'Altino 10 min later and from Portogruaro 40 min later.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 08:34 AM

Have you considered a shuttle? I have not used GoOpti but I have seen their vans at Marco Polo.
https://www.goopti.com/en/

It may be less exhausting than the bus/train method. I can get a shared shuttle run by a tour company from Venice to Ljubljana for 40 euros; I am sure they would stop in Trieste. But you might have to wait for other passengers. I could certainly ask, if you are interested.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 08:55 AM

"Venice to Ljubljana for 40 euros; I am sure they would stop in Trieste".
Are you sure that DRD are allowed to do that?
Ljubljana - VCE is a international line according to the law of the European Union.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 09:09 AM

It is not DRD. It is a shared shuttle offered by a tour operator. They picked me up in Trieste earlier this year. I would never recommend DRD.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 09:36 AM

After our second trip to Slovenia, we traveled via train from Trieste to Mestre and then to the airport for our daughter. I had bought cheap airport shuttle bus tickets from Mestre ahead of time, but at the hour we arrived, my husband just felt we should all jump in a taxi and see her off at the airport.

For the Slovenia trip the year before, we flew directly into Ljubljana, while friends of ours stayed in Venice for a bit. Their booking agent told them to take the great direct special bus. It was a nightmare. Traffic along the highway made the shuttle bus late getting there; traffic TO made them hours late also.

My advice: take either a taxi or the cheap and frequent airport Mestre shuttle (I think it is something like the Airport Flyer) to Mestre and be done with it.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Alessandra...

<i>My advice: take either a taxi or the cheap and frequent airport Mestre shuttle (I think it is something like the Airport Flyer) to Mestre and be done with it.</i>

Thanks...you make a lot of sense.

ssander
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, guys, but we decided against Trieste.

We're going to stay in Venice from the start, then spend a few days in Bologna and then fly to Paris.

Thanks, anyway.
ssander
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 02:35 PM

I originally wanted to go to Bologna to make pasta. Did not get there. Enjoy!