Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Still need help with Paris hotels in 6th arr. for July!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:48 PM
Chuck

My wife and I were last in Paris in 1993 where we stayed at Abbaye Saint-Germain. (Our honeymoon). We are looking at Odeon and Ferrandi Hotels and would appreciate some input. Also any opinions on romantic mid day meals would be great!! Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Fred

Hotel de l'Odeon gets good reviews, slightly better than the Ferrandi, and to me is in a better location than the Ferrandi.For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:08 AM
cw

My top choice is Hotel La Villa (Phillipe Starck) on rue Jacob. <BR> <BR>I also love the Caron de Beaumarchias <BR>on rue du vielle temple in the Marais, which is also great neighborhood, my favorite. <BR> <BR>Check out www.paris.org/hotels for more, as well as descriptions on the above. <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:09 AM
tally ho

just returned from this area of paris 2 days ago. i would think any hotels in the area would be good. are you looking for something quiet and romantic or in a fun and swinging area of this arrondisement? and as for a great deal on a midday meal, we thought the sacre coeur/monmartre area was great. it is very bohemian with street artists performing and artists performing their craft. <BR>back to the hotel, the square connected to the St Sulpice cathedral is beautiful, quiet but with many cafes and bistros surrounding it. there are several hotels and it is just blocks from odeon. it has its own metro stop as being very close to mabillon and odeon metros.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Diane

I disagree with the recommendation for La Villa on rue Jacob. I stayed there for a week in November, 2000, and was disappointed. We stayed in a "deluxe" room, actually in both deluxe rooms since the first was unacceptable. The standard rooms are tiny, and bathrooms are dark. It was also a noisy location. Last month we stayed near Odeon at le Regent. Again, a bit noisy, but much cheaper. When I next go back, I will try le Tourville in the 7th, or le Millesime in the 6th, also on rue Jacob.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Christina

I have not stayed in any of those so can only offer you very personal comments which may not mean much. First, both of those hotels are rated decently in any guidebook I've seen, assuming you mean Hotel de l'Odeon; there are perhaps three hotels with Odeon in the name around there, and I think that one is the best. I would stay at Hotel de l'Odeon as the location is more convenient to me; I have been by the Ferrandi and just don't like that odd corner of Paris in between Montparnasse and the 7th; the street is very narrow and seems kind of desolate to me down in that southern end, I just feel kind of out-of-the-way there and I don't find like the ambience that much of rue de Rennes and bd Montparnasse intersection. On the other hand, I've read comments from people (maybe on Fodors, I forget) who felt that location was convenient, etc. So, I would just speculate that many people might prefer the location of the H de l'Odeon for covenience an ambience, and if you can't choose on any other reason, I'd thus go for it.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Chuck

Yes, I did mean Hotel di l'Odeon. The input you all gave is greatly appreciated. I thought I might be leaning toward the Ferrandi, but l'Odeon sounds like a better location. Quiet and romantic is good, but we don't expect to spend much time in our room. We'd rather be walking, dining and people watching our way through Paris this trip. Thanks to all!!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Taylor

Check out the Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th. We just stayed there and we loved it. I had lived in Paris so knew what I wanted charm, price and location wise. All my expectations were joyfully met. They have a website with photos. We had a regular double and found it to be an adequate size with a comfy bed and modern baths. If you want more info e-mail. It is a few steps off Blvd. St Germain half way between metros Odeon and Mabillon.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Chuck

Taylor, thanks for the suggestion. We tried to book Fleurie but it is sold out during the dates we will be in Paris. Still trying to find a good alternative. Hotel de l'Odeon is available, as well as Hotel Ferrandi though we are still open to any suggestions. High priorities are location (left bank) and romantic, since this is our first real vacation without kids!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Pat

Chuck - from Fodor's Rivages - Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris. <BR> <BR>Rue Jacob - d'Angleterre,du Danube, Deux Continents, Les Marronniers & Millesime <BR> <BR>Rue Dauphine - Le Regent, Dauphine Saint-Germain, d'Aubusson (magnificent) <BR> <BR>Others - Buci Latin, Au Manoir Saint-Germain-des-Pres, Madison (magnificent), The Libertel Chain (Prince de Conti & Prince de Conde). <BR> <BR>Also - Relais Christine & Relais Medicis & Relais Saint-Germain ( all 3 star Michelin) <BR> <BR>In the 7th near d'Orsay museum - Libertel Bellechasse (magnificent) & Pont d'Alma (new and gorgeous - not sure of the spelling). <BR> <BR>Make a decision and stop waffling. Any number of the hotels you're looking at are wonderful.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:08 AM
topper

topping for Marty

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Adele

Chuck, <BR> <BR>The website www.france.com has a great listing of hotels with customer comments and also an online reservation feature. You should beable to find something to your liking. Relais St. Sulpice looks like a nice hotel and it is well located. <BR> <BR>When we were in Paris a couple of years ago we had a lovely lunch not far from the Cluny Museum on rue l'Ecole Polytechnique, at a place calles Les Fetes Galantes. Very small but charming, simple but wonderful food, good service and the best profiteroles for dessert that I've ever tasted. <BR> <BR>The Marais is also a great place for finding a romantic place for lunch, either on one of the side streets or at Place des Voges. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 08:45 PM
Taylor

Sorry the Fleurie was full. Another nearby hotel that I originally tried to book but it was full is Hotel Madison right on Blvd. Germain. It may be full too but it looked as nice as I expected. I'm sorry I don't know about the 2 hotels you referred to - good luck.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Taylor

Me again Chuck. We had the prix fixe lunch at Tour d'Argent one day and I found it completely worth the 390f. It was romantic because the view is so wonderful and the decor is lovely. We booked for noon and were prompt. My fiance wore a jacket and tie even though it was not required and we had the BEST table in the house. Everyone else was seated mostly behind us and our view consisted solely of Notre Dame. A super meal - worth my 24 year wait to experience it.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:02 PM
mariana

WE were in Paris about 6 weeks ago, and found the Hotel Madison to be PERFECT....wonderful, good service, clean, nice room, and gorgeous FULL buffet breakfast. Is on St. Germain, across from St. Germain church, and the Deaux Magots....and absolutely the BEST location!!! Is usually full however. I've heard the Hotel Dauphine is good also and a great location.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Chuck

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Am currently calling directly to Hotel Madison and Hotel de l'Univers to try to get reservations based on postings. I agree that Tour d'Argent is great as my wife and I dined there on our honeymoon. I'm looking forward to all other meal recommendations, and will call for reservations soon. I expect to have a wonderful trip thanks to all who take the time to post responses...and I will happily report on our trip when we return in July!

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:52 PM
diana

I have stayed twice at the Hotel des Marionneres (sp?) and recommended it to friends, and all have enjoyed it. Its in St. Germaine de Pres -- close to metro and many cafes.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
beth

TTT