Staying Outside Munich

Search

Staying Outside Munich

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying Outside Munich

Are there any small hotels or other accomodations that are outside of Munich, yet are close to train stations, so we could get to the center Munich in no more than 20-30 minutes. Small suburbs or towns, hopefully with some restaurants close by would be nice, so we would have more quiet evenings and the days would be spent in Munich.

Thank you so much
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM

I usually stay in Schwabing, which is a suburb of Munich and close to the English Garden and some good restaurants.

I stay at either the Marriott or the Renaissance which is near the U-Bahn, which will get you to the Marienplatz in a about 10 minutes. Priceline is a good place to find good rates for these properties.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Last year we stayed in Freising and liked it. We stayed at the Hotel zur Gred, which has its own decent restaurant. Freising also has the world's oldest active brewery. We really enjoyed our stay in the town and at the Hotel zur Gred.

http://www.freising.de/

http://www.hotelzurgred.de/

It is on both an S-Bahn and a regional train line. It is about 40 min by S-Bahn to the Munich main train station and 25-30 min by train.

Regards, Gary
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM

We've stayed at the Kastanienhof Hotel in Erding. Very nice hotel (and with A/C). Was 1/2 block from train station (S-bahn) but can't tell you how long trip into center of town was.
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Freising is a nice town. That would probably be my choice.

When we were in Munich, we stayed at the Hotel Laimerhof in the Nymphenberg area - actually the hotel was about 2 blocks from the Nymphenberg Palace grounds. Nice neighborhood, largely residential, very peaceful. Yet it was a 10 minute walk to the S-Bahn followed by a 10 minute ride into central Munich, or a 5 minute walk to the tram stop followed by a 15 minute ride into central Munich. Very easy and very convinient. There is a nice beer garden not far, plus quite a few neighborhood restaurants and shops nearby.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM

I second the suggestion of the Kastanienhof Hotel in Erding. Have stayed there and liked it and its convenient location to the S-Bahn to Munich and short car drive (or taxi) to airport.