Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich hotel advice: Hotel Uhland or Pension Lindner for Xmas markets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I have done all the reading on Tripadvisor etc and narrowed down our hotel choices to the top 3 (the two above plus Blauer Bock). I now think the above are our top two and I need advice. Uhland is my favorite but my concern is its distance from Marienplatz...we will be there for Xmas markets...

Background - my parents (68 and 70 y/o) and my brother and I will be going to Munich from 11/28-12/2...two days will be for seeing stuff in the city, one day to Ludwigs castles and one day probably 1/2 day Dachau and maybe Nyphenburg and/or some more city stuff...my mom has had both her knees replaced in the last year and is just a month out from her last surgery right now (she had complications on that one...). She can walk fine but a mile may wear her out for the rest of the walking in the city center.

So...is Uhland worth riding a taxi/bus etc into town or should we really be in city center and therefore choose Lindner? Anyone been to either at that time of the year?
Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

I have never stayed at either hotel but have been to Munich (and the markets) several times and would definitely stay in the center. Enjoy! CJ
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM

There is not one market in Munich but several spread out across the inner city.

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/touri...s_Markets.html

Munich has an excellent public transportation system. You might consider an inner district Partner Day ticket on the system and stay near any of the many Sbahn or Ubahn Stations.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/t...ket/index.html

This year we are staying near the Ostbahn station in Haidhausen as it is only 5 minutes by Sbahn from Marienplatz at the center of town. Last year we stayed at Sendlinger Tor as it was a 10 minute walk downtown and right at a Ubahn station.

Regards, Gary
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Gary - thanks for the info...I do have a map with the different ones listed...I guess that was part of my question...is it very important to be directly near Marienplatz? What it boils down to is this...I think Uhland looks nicer than Lindner but my parents like walking to everything so they don't have to worry about pickpockets etc on the Metros and b/c they find it more relaxing. That being said the Uhland says a cab is only 10 Euro so that might be an easy option too. I guess I am just looking for anyone who has stayed at one or the other to talk me into one or out of it
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 09:58 AM
jgg

We stayed at the Uhland two years ago and really liked it. It is a quick walk to the closest U-bahn station (near Oktoberfest), though if I recall correctly you have to switch trains to get to Marienplatz. There is another U-bahn station that takes you directly to Marienplatz but was a slightly longer walk. You are also right near a bus stop which you could take to the other U-bahn station.

I remember completely agonizing over this decision as we always prefer to stay in the city center, but just couldn't find anything I liked in the city center of Munich. We were very happy with our decision to stay at Hotel Uhland.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

jgg-thanks for your input ... I think I am right where you were...I have been totally obsessing over it and then I finally picked one and then the next morning my mom called b/c she started obsessing and decided we should pick the other one...we are still on the fence right now due solely to the location thing Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Let me just add that Munich is considered one of the safest cities in Germany and Germany has a much lower crime rate than the US. It is possible to have pickpockets anywhere, including the crowded market at Marienplatz; but it is unlikely in Munich. I would still consider the public transportation system over several cab trips around town.

The Christmas Market at Marienplatz is the biggest that we visited in Munich but I do not think that you need to be roomed right there. The advantage to being close is several restaurants.

The Medieval market at Wittelsbacher Platz was the most unique but not necessarily Christmassy. We walked back to Marienplatz from there and it took maybe 15 minutes.

We enjoyed the Haidhausen Market which was more of a cozy community affair: mothers with strollers and several folks from a community home. For the Haidhausen Market I think you need a taxi or public transport.

I am not sure this helps.

Regards, Gary
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Kelly, We went to Munich in 08 for the Christmas Markets and stayed at Uhland. It is only about a 20 minute walk to the Marienplatz market - or you can take the train. Also - it is a 5 minute walk in the opposite direction to really cool market on the old Oktoberfest grounds - think it is called Tollwood.

There is a handwork market at one of the entrance to one of the metro stations that you should not miss. All the items are made by craftsman and are very different than the items you see at the other markets. http://www.schwabingerweihnachtsmarkt.de/
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM

I have stayed @ Hotel Uhland & highly recommend it. However, we would still rather stay @ the Hotel Amba - http://www.hotel-amba.de/ as it is in a little better location.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM

There are literally hundreds of hotels in Munich. And dozens in a better location than the Uhland. Try hrs.com which is Germany's biggest consolidator for hotel rooms.

As someone living in Munich, I never quite understood the immense attraction of the Hotel Uhland (of course, I have never stayed there, so it could be very nice inside).
But location-wise, it sucks. There is literally nothing in the immediate vicinity. No cafes, no bars, no stores, no nothing. Except the major downtown hospital campus. So if you get too much mulled wine or pretzels, you can walk to ER

But why walk 20 minutes thru boring semi-residential neighborhoods to Marienplatz when you can stay in a central area. Or at least in an area that has many restaurants etc like Haidhausem which Gary mentioned.

I ride the subway/ S-Bahn every day, and pickpockets are definetely not an issue you must take into account.

Another local favorite among the Christmas markets is the one in the English Garden at the Chinese pagoda. IF there is snow, it's really magical, esp. after in the evenings. You can walk there from the historic city center, or take subway/bus to be dropped off right there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM

I liked the Uhland but it is a little further away from Marienplatz. I don't know the Pension Lindner. The Blsuer Bock is right there next to the Viktualien Markt in the heart of Munich. It is close to Marien Platz, the Hofbrau Haus, lots of other resturats and attractions. I have not stayed at Blauer Bock but I have heard good comments.