Staying in the 14th.....HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

A couple of friends and I are joining up with a tour group that will be staying at the Marriott Rive Gauche in the 14th. We will be there 2 nights before the group comes in. After that we’ll be mostly scheduled.

I’ve been to Paris many times (my friends have never been.). The 14th is not my area of expertise, in fact I’ve never set foot there. When I look at the actual street the hotel is on in Google maps it looks like there is nothing much there except the hotel

That said, does anyone who knows the area have any suggestions for restaurants or things we can walk to from that hotel?

Otherwise it will be off on the Metro or cabs every time we step outside. I’m used to staying near the river where I can walk all over, come in & out of my apt. or hotel, and not take transportation except for a few times. I’m getting a bit nervous about the location. It doesn’t sound very convenient.

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeez, I wrote a ton and the site locked up. It is a slower pace but nice there. We would get on the metro in the morning and come back later in the evening. Great street market on Rue Daguerre and I actually like Montparnasse cemetery. Easier to walk than Pere Lachaise. Catacombs are very close to your hotel.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 07:19 PM

That section of boulevard Saint Jacques is indeed a bit sparse, but it isn't exactly the boondocks since Denfert-Rochereau is just a couple of blocks away, as well as the outstanding rue Daguerre. The nearest excellent café is L'Ecir at 59 bd. St. Jacques. I had to look up the name once, and the écir is the wind in the Massif Central mountain range.

The Marriott Rive Gauche is the hotel to which just about every American game show participant gets sent when they have won "a fabulous trip to Paris, France!"
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Just the helpful info I was hoping for. Rue Daguerre looks like a wonderful street to explore.
L'Ecir looks good too.

And no, we didn't win a game show but we did come across a tour price that was too good to pass up. After a few days in Paris we will go to Dijon, Avignon, Aix, & Nice. It's off season, October into Nov, I've been to all but Dijon in the warmer months when it was very crowded so it will be nice to see France at a hopefully slower pace.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Not in your immediate neighborhood, but in the 14th, is the excellent tiny restaurant La Cerisae. I will be staying near there for two nights in May and will plan to have one dinner there. Reservations necessary because of the tiny size.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We were there for a week in October. I really liked it because we still had longer days. So funny about the game show winners. I always gasp when they say how much the trips are worth and know they have to pay tax on that. I read where many don't take the trip as they can't afford the tax.

There are normal mom and pop shops along the streets which were nice to visit. You could get your hair done easily in one of the salons.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this is your thing, but to me it's the best designed art museum in Paris. Everything I've seen here has been well curated and this structure seems to absorb crowds without leaving an elbow to elbow feeling
Jean Nouvel is the architect.
https://www.fondationcartier.com/en/?locale=en
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Don't miss a meal at Chez Papa at 6 rue Gassendi, just behind Place Denfert-Rochereau (bordering the cemetery).

Chez Papa Paris 14 | Restaurant de spécialités du Sud Ouest
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 06:48 AM

I second Nikki's recommendation of La Cerisae.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 09:04 AM

I stay in the 14th most of the time I go to Paris, but never in that part of it which is a bit dull. I stay near the intersection of bds Raspail and Montparnasse. That part of the 14th is kind of far away from where I usually stay.

sure, rue Daguerre is worth checking out. I don't really buy food much when traveling, so that fact doesn't have a lot of interest for me. It doesn't have as many restaurants on it as I would like, but it has a couple.

Parc Montsouris is lovely, that's about 1 km. Of course the Catacombes are right at Denfert Rochereau RER stop. The Gobelins historic tapestry factory is in the 13th not too far from there, probably about the same distance as rue Daguerre. There is a small private area of streets with floral names down to the east of Parc Montsouris which is interesting (Cite Florale). I'm not sure you can jsut walk through it or not, I was on a private tour of that quarter with a local guide when I saw it. I just saw that in l'Officiel des Spectacles, though, where I see all the walking tours I take. It was in French, however.

https://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museu...arc-Montsouris

Gobelins Manufacture - Gobelins Tapestries

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_florale

There's also the Butte aux Cailles neighborhood in the 13th, although I wouldn't make a special point of going there, I don't think it's that fascinating, but if you are around, sure.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/butte-aux-...orhood-1618714

I dont' know any restaurants right around the hotel, I don't think there are a lot. I do eat in the 13th a fair amt, but not closer enough to that hotel that you'd probably want to walk, anyway, it would be a metro trip. Chez Gladines (Basque) in Buttes-aux-Cailles is the only one I know of that you might want to walk to.
https://chezgladines-butteauxcailles.fr/fr/gallery

But I don't think it's what you had in mind, probably, just a local cheap canteen, cramped and packed.
https://www.likealocalguide.com/paris/chez-gladines
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tpayt - sounds like a fun tour! My neighbor will be in Paris in September to go on a tour (sounds familiar -- cheap, too good to pass up!) and will be staying at the same hotel as you. Since she and her friend are coming in early, and the cost of that Marriott is pretty high, I suggested she stay at the hotel we will be (again) staying at in September (we're planning on meeting up for a few days), and our hotel is located in the 14th. In fact, it is the hotel where I believe Christina, above, stays as well. We've been going to this hotel since 1983, so aside from knowing the room numbers we prefer in the hotel, we've gotten to know the 14th really well in the last 35 or so years!

Your closest Metro stop, I believe, is Sainte-Jacques. Which would get you (or you could walk, it's certainly doable) to Blvd Edgar Quinet which, on Weds from 7 - 2:30 p.m., there is a fabulous market (Marché Edgar-Quinet) that goes from Blvd. Raspail, virtually all the way down to La Cerisaie, the restaurant others have been describing. That restaurant is worth the reservation! For a crepes meal (savory and dessert restaurants) in the area, rue du Montparnasse is the street to go, and having tried all of them, our favorite remains La Crêperie de Josselin . . . do NOT fear the line (it goes fast) or that you have to pay in cash. If you want to try something upscale, but not as snobby or as living off its reputation as Le Dome, try its little sister, Le Bistrot du Dôme on rue Delambre (the street right behind Le Dome).

Things to do: Obviously the Catacombs are perfect, and right down the street from you. Wear tennis shoes and bring a flashlight. They do check you backback on the way out (yes, people try to steal bones!). I LOVE the Montparnasse Cemetery, at the corner of Blvd. Raspail and Edgar Quinet, where literary figures, including Jean Paul Sartre, are buried. Also, if you haven't been up to the top of the Montparnasse Tower, it really is quite a spectacular view, on a sunny day (can get cold up there, bring a jacket!). My friend who lives in the 14th prefers taking her visiting friends there as an alternative to the Eiffel Tower. From the entrance to the Montparnasse Cemetery, by the way, it is a very short walk (about 3 blocks) to the Jardin des Explorateurs, a "finger" park that leads you straight into the Luxembourg Gardens. Now what's cool about the tip of that finger by rue d'Assas is a very famous fountain, the Fontaine de l'Observatoire, featured prominently in the movie, Gigi.

If you are willing to jump on the Metro, I'd take it to Convention in the 15th, and check out the Marché Convention, which is from 7 - 2:30 p.m. Tues, Thurs. and Sunday. A FABULOUS outdoor market with all sorts of great food, cheeses, clothing, scarves, and all around neat stuff to buy at very good prices. If you really want to go off the beaten track while in that area, walk up rue de la Convention to rue Dantzig, then go up that street to La Ruche (literally, the "Beehive") at 2 Passage de Dantzig. La Ruche is an old circular structure that got its name because it looked more like a large beehive than a dwelling for humans. Originally a temporary building designed by Gustave Eiffel for use as a wine rotunda at the Great Exposition of 1900, the structure was dismantled and re-erected as low-cost studios for artists. Home at one time or another to the likes of Marc Chagall, Jacques Lipchitz, and Modigliani. You can't get into the inside of the building, but you can often get in and walk the grounds, which is quite nice.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

So many places to check out. Fodorites definitely know there stuff.....thanks so much.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Ooops! Their
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Great location.
I am a fan of 14 and of la butte aux cailles.
Some great restaurants in the 14th (was invited by locals)
cornichon. Rue gassendi.
Far niente. There are several in Paris this one Paul fort.
Maison peret (invited by same locals) rue Daguerre - terroir.

La régalade - to die for 'joues de boeuf' if you take an entree (starter) and have la terrine you can eat with it !!!

Have fun.