Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Picking a Paris hotel on left or right bank?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris and I am trying to decide on the location of a hotel that is within our budget.

I am considering:

1. Hotel Lyon Mulhouse, right bank, Bastille. (http://www.france-paris.com/1-hotel-...ces-lhm-us.htm)

2. Hotel du College de France, left bank, lantin/st-germain. (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/)

Does anyone have any information as to whether these are good choices such as good quality, good location, close to markets, shops, cafe, restaurants, etc.?

Thanks for helping.

Rgds,
Peter
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM

The Left Bank tends to be more relaxed and unconventional, especially towards the east, in the Latin Quarter (in part because of a strong university presence). The Right Bank tends to be more upscale, formal, and straight-laced. However, these are broad generalizations; every neighborhood is different. The area just east and northeast of the Bastille, for example, is very animated, with many restaurants and clubs, whereas the area to the west of the Bastille is quieter and somewhat more elegant and less trendy.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM

Because I love to stay on the Left Bank, I will say the Hotel du College de France. It looks nice and is in a good location. I have never heard of either of them, but I would prefer the Latin Quarter.
There are a gazillion threads on places to eat in the area, markets and shops..just put the word in the Search box and read the threads posted already.
Good luck, have fun with the research, one of my favorite parts of planning a trip
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM
ira

Hi pp,

The College is in a nice location, not far from the Seine and Notre Dame, and near a metro stop.

The Mulhouse is on a rather busy street, but otherwise nicely located.

You can check out the locations by entering the addresses at www.pagesjaunes.fr.

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:58 AM

ppwlee, We've stayed at the College de France three times. Obviously we like the location. Keep in mind the rooms are small; if you are lucky you can get a room on the top floor which are larger. It does not have A/C so our stay in August will be at a different hotel nearby. It is a comfortable, well-run 2 star hotel. Have a great trip. Deborah
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Lyon Mulhouse in July 2003. It was a great location and the front desk service was excellent. I stayed there for just 2 nights after my tour of France and the front desk man (his name escapes me) was very friendly and was interested in practicing his english with me and he let me practice my french with him.

I was in a non-AC room which was the bad part. That was the heat wave summer and I was miserable at night with the heat. I watched my first movie in Paris though as a result so there were some benefits. The room I stayed in had a great view of the Eiffel Tower and it was fun to watch when it was all lit up at midnight.

Have a wonderful trip!