Hotel Particulier de Montmartre

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Particulier de Montmartre

I know the Paris hotel topic is a constant one on this board but I have not seen much of a discussion about the Hotel Particulier de Montmartre. I am currently holding a reservation for next August (I know it's early but I am sort of compulsive about these things) as everything I hear about the place sounds incredible. My only concern is the location. The last couple of times in Paris I have stayed at the old Intercontinental (now Westin) which was nicely located. I am concerned that we will be spending too much time on the Metro and walking up the hills in Montmartre in the August heat. We tend to like walking around the left bank and visiting the Marais. Are we crazy to stay in Montmartre even though we will have 5 days in Paris? Has anyone stayed at the hotel and, if so, was location an issue? Since the hotel does not have a restaurant or bar, are there places near by (the hotel is on Avenue Junot). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM

If the Left Bank and the Marais call to you, why not stay in that area instead of in Montmartre?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I posted about it when it was 'new', sometime this past year I believe. I saw it written up in one of my magazines, possibly.

There are lots of cafes around Abbesses and around rue Caulaincourt, and of course, at Place du Tertre...

It does sound at odds with where you prefer to explore, however. Have you looked at 'le Six Hotel' between St Germain and Montparnasse? Or Hotel Saint Vincent, closer to the Seine?

http://www.hotel-le-six.com/
http://www.hotelsaintvincentparis.com/
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the suggestion of the Hotel Saint Vincent. I have been looking at that option for awhile now and will check it out again as it looks quite nice. I think I have decided that despite how incredible the Hotel Particulier looks and the stellar reviews it gets, its location is not ideal and will probably end up staying on the Left Bank.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM

We've been to Paris many times, so have done all that running all over on previous visits.

I really enjoy the area of Montmartre where that hotel is located. There is no shortage of cafes, shops, etc., in the area, and there are more appealing places in Montmartre than we've had the opportunity to visit so far.

I am seriously considering staying in Montmartre (in an apartment) on our next trip. We prefer the buses to the metro, and with a Navigo Decouverte/Carte Orange, you can ride all over Montmartre on Montmartrobus (which runs every day and until at least half past midnight) to avoid the hills. Though the route is circular, there are many stops where you can get off and head the other direction. That hotel is very close to bus route #80, which also runs every day and until half past midnight, with excellent connections to other parts of the city.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for that helpful information. I greatly appreciate it.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Considering the novelty and the beauty of this hotel, I wouldn't miss the opportunity just because you would have to metro to the more central sites. We walked this part of Montmartre with a Paris Greeters guide last April, and it seemed to be a quiet residential area. But nothing is far from the "action" of Montmartre once you would return to the hotel area.