Reload this Page >

STAYING IN BRUGES

Search

STAYING IN BRUGES

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:44 PM
flying_scot

STAYING IN BRUGES

I am looking for hotels or bed and breakfasts with character, comfortable, friendly, reasonably priced and centrally located in Bruges for a couple of nights in September. Not too much to ask, I know!!

I have come across the Hotel Lucca. Has anyone been there? Information on this and other accommodation would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Define "reasonable".

A double for $100, $150, $200?
We'll help you if you help us!

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Two summers ago we stayed in Bruges at the Hotel Prinsenhof, which we found on this site. The room was very nice and the bathroom was lovely. Prinsenhof is a small hotel on a quiet street about a 5 minute walk from the main square in Bruges, very convenient. The staff were very nice and helpful. If you are going to have a lot of luggage, ask for a room on the first or second floor. There is an elevator to the second floor, but not the third. The breakfast was your typical northern European one (bread, cheese, meat, cereal, pastries, etc.). We thought the hotel was reasonably priced (don't remember what we paid). I'll add a restaurant recommendation - Breydel de Connick, just off the main square, for the most amazing moules frites (mussels and french fries) you'll ever have. Have a good time - Bruges is wonderful.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:11 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Jacobs. It's described and shown on their web site. Check the Bruges hotels web page for a more complete list. We found the Jacobs to be quiet, spotless, very helpful front desk, good breakfast, reasonable in cost, a 10-minute walk from the main square, plenty of on-street parking, a 5-minute cab ride from the main railway station.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM

We just returned from Bruges. We loved every minute of the visit. It's a great walking city. I don't know the hotel you mentioned, but I can tell you we stayed at the Deloof B and B. We were not happy with it. We had to go out and buy soap, they gave no tourist information, they were very aloof, and when we put the towels on the floor to let them know we needed clean towels, they just picket them up off the floor and hung them up again. The also wouldn't let us make a toll free call from their hotel. They told us to go to the Markt (the square). I've never run into any of these problems at other B & B's. We weren't the only ones with this problem, the other guests were complaining about the same problems.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 06:32 PM

I enthusiastically second JulieB's recommendation for Breydel de Connick restaurant. One of the best meals we had in our European vacation two years ago. We are not mussel fans at home, but found them to be wonderful at this restaurant (we had them in a white wine cream sauce). The atmosphere was informal and fun. If we are ever back in Brugge, we will definately eat here!
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM

We visited Bruges in May, staying at Number 11, Artist's house. Annie was incredibly gracious and the location is wonderful!

Try this website: http://users.pandora.be/number11/index.htm

We stayed in the Vanilla room, and it was very comfortable.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:26 AM
ltw

I recently returned from a visit to Bruges where I stayed at the Artist's House. I loved this B&B and I have stayed at many. It's centrally located and has been beautifully decorated by the owners. All the rooms are charming and roomy, and decorated with paintings by one of the owners. I stayed in the vanilla room, which is an incredible bargain at 115 euros/night, including a very nice breakfast. The owners are friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this place!!!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Hi, maybe this reply is a bit late...
http://www.brugge.be/verblijf/en/gastene.htm gives you a list of B&B.
The main site is http://www.brugge.be/verblijf/en/menlogies.htm It shows all the hotels with their weblinks
A very nice hotel is Hotel Adornes, alongside a canal, in the center of town. http://www.adornes.be/ is the webaddress I stayed there last year during a visit in my home town. It has character, is comfortable and the people are very friendly.

Eating...
Breydel and Deconinck, Breydelstraat, between Markt and Burg, in the heart of town, for mussels and other fish.
La Brasserie forestière, Academiestraat, serves excellent smaller snacks (without the notion of eating it in a hurry).
Food is no problem. Explain clearly to your hotelmanager what you are looking for and ask him for a suggestion or two.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:59 AM

If you haven't found a place yet try Hotel Bourgoensche Cruyce. A beautiful small hotel only five minutes walk from the center of town, on a canal, and with great hosts.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:21 AM

The Adornes is an lovely hotel overlooking the canal and a short walk from the Markt. The breakfast is excellent--fresh fruit, muesli, and yogurt as well as cheese, cold cuts, and breads.

For a fancier evening meal, go to Den Dyver and try the menu where they select the beer. They have the most amazing selection and, many of their dishes are cooked in beer, . This non-beer drinker was blown away.