Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stayed at any of these hotels in Italy?

Le Sirenuse - in Positano
Hotel Plaza Lucchesi - in Florence
Hotel Giorgione - in Venice

We're staying in amalfi/positano for 1 full week, and florence/venice for 3-4 days each. I'm pretty confident about Le Sirenuse (Fodors gave it good reviews), but I want to make sure of our other choices. We've never been to Italy or to Europe for that matter. Please give me your advice and shopping tips for Florence too!!!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM

have looked on tripadvisor.com --

i also am planning my honeymoon for italy -- we have reservations at the hotel plaza lucchesi in florence -- have heard really great things.

we would have done le sirenuse if it was in our budget -- but unfortunately we just couldn't do it -- so instead we have a reservation at the Poseidon.

hope this helps. enjoy and good luck!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:59 AM

I last stayed at Plaza Lucchessi in January, 2001. I received a very good deal on a room rate, less than half of what it normally would go for. My room was very small. No carpet, hardwood floor. The room ornate, in the Florentine style (beautiful Murano glass chandelier over my bed that I wanted to nick). Absolutely the worst bed I have ever slept in--as hard as a plank. Bathroom was very small and water backed up in shower. The maid service was astounding. My room was always immaculate--straightened and dust bins emptied at least 3 times a day. The best thing about Lucchesi is its location along the Arno, only footsteps from Santa Croce. You can walk everywhere. Breakfast buffet was quite nice. I had previously stayed at the Savoy, so maybe that is why I was disappointed in my small room? But, for the price I shan't complain too much. Whatever you do, darling, GET A ROOM WITH A VIEW OF THE ARNO, even if you have to lie, cheat, or nick. That will make any discomforts worthwhile.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I really like the Helvetica and Bristol in Florence. Beautiful fabric wall, Murano glass, excellent location.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Sorry, darling, had to post before I was finished. (I am being hounded at work. My god, if it wasn't for me this firm would be in the red.) I have to tell you that the wall of Plaza Lucchesi are PAPER THIN. You can hear all of your neighbors. I could hear a couple having sex across the hall. You should have heard this slag moan and scream. I wanted to rap on their door and say, "Madam, unless you have John Holmes in their with you, tone it down about 10 decibals." They were probably French.

For shopping: Passamaneria Valmar, Via Porta Rosa, 53r. Great for embroidery and tassels in the Florentine style.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:20 PM
lm

We stayed in the Lucchesi this past May but had a very large room with a balcony overlooking Santa Croce. We were on the fourth floor. The room was decorated very nice with a couple of easy chairs, writing desk, flat screen wall mounted TV, etc. But I will agree about the thin walls. Our neighbor was a cougher.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Helvetica and Bristol is very quiet because of the fabric walls. The staff is very nice too! BTW, Le Sirenuse is fabulous! It isn't fancy and overly decorated, just simple and elegant. However, last time I was there, someone was on their cell phone for about an hour yelling in the middle of the night, so I guess those walls aren't insulated either.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:03 PM
pal

I'm sure you realize this, but Le Sirenuse is a 5 star deluxe (highest rating) and the Plaza Lucchesi is a 4 star (3rd highest rating, more or less...) They really don't even come close in comparison. Le Sirenuse is in a great location, the P.L. is a bit further out. Plus it's a hotel used buy A LOT by airline vactions. If you want a nice 4 star hotel with florentine charm, do more searches on this forum for some great info on 3, 4, and 5 star hotels (monna lisa, brunneleschi, etc). In Florence, if you're looking for an excellent 4 star with perfect location (10 yards from ponte vecchio)(albeit a very modern hotel) check out the Continentale or Hotel Gallery Art (lungarnohotels.com). If you want 5 star luxury with the perfect location (piazza della republica-smack dab in the middle of everything) check out the Hotel Savoy (hotelsavoy.it). The Helvetica and Bristol is a bit further out (not bad at all really...) as are the Grand and Excelsior (where I stayed before). I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are significantly better hotels in
Florence for similar prices, espeically for a honeymoon, and especially if this is your first time to Italy.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM

I stayed at the Plaza Lucchesi and it was wonderful. My room had a great balcony with a view of the Arno: Do what you have to to get this I had a Superior Single, which was about 30 Euros more than the regular single, and it was one of the hugest singles I've ever seen in Europe. The service was great, and the value was great --- very close to luxury with nice public rooms, wide staircases, nice carpeting, etc. As to the noise and the thin walls: I didn't hear any, but maybe I didn't have noisy neighbors. I always travel with eyeshade and earplugs, but I don't believe I needed them. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses! Yes, I do realize that the last two hotels on my list are not as nice as Le Sirenuse. We decided to spend most of our budget in Amalfi since we'll be staying there a full week. I'll definitely look into some other choices for Florence!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:00 PM

If I may, consider Torre di Bellosguardo in Florence (rather on a hill overlooking Florence). The rooms are original and sparingly but tastefully furnished. They aren't "rooms" really, but rather chambers (meaning, their big). Florence can be very congested and tiring, staying just outside of town can be the perfect antidote --- especially with a view, pool and extensive gardens. See for yourself @ www.torrebellosguardo.com
But don't tell anyone.

As for Le Sirenuse, I have nothing to add to the debate which rages back and forth between it and the il San Pietro other than a) they have both become nutty expensive and b) we prefer SP because of the setting and character. In fairness, I've not stayed at Le Sirenuse for over 10 years and I have no doubt you will be very well treated but I would recommend paying up for a "deluxe" room in either case because when the "standard" rate is already in the stratosphere, don't risk being disappointed by saving 15% or so.

Have a wonderful trip.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:46 PM

italyhoneymooner-I will be staying at Le Sirenuse next year for 2 nights and it's quite (gulp!!) expensive, but it's getting great reviews in all the travel books/mags and websites so I just had to go for it (hey, you only live once). If you do stay there before I go, please keep me posted on how you liked it..... Happy Travels!!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:15 PM

Why are you staying at the Giorgione in Venice? If you can afford Le Sirenuse, you can do better in Venice. Not that the Giorgione is not a good hotel . . . it IS. But you can do better. I like the Londra Palace with view across the lagoon to San Giorgio. Gorgeous!