Great Walking Cities in Europe

Sep 17th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Great Walking Cities in Europe

Can anyone tell me some good cities that one can get to everything ie: shopping, museums, restaurants etc. either by walking or public transportation? I've already been to Rome, Florence, Paris, Prague, Amsterdam and London. Am looking for other suggestions.
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:30 PM
ira

Was in Bologna yesterday. Very easy to walk around.

You might wish to consider Venice.
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:30 PM

The walking city of them all - VENICE!
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:40 PM

Copenhagen
Sep 18th, 2003, 12:37 AM
AllyPally

I was in Berlin this weekend and I can highly recommend it. Loads to see and do, very walkable with a fantastic metro system which fast and clean. The Mitte area of the city, where you will find the museums, Brandenburg Gate, etc. has loads of sophisticated places to shop and eat. Has a branch of Galeries Lafayette.

Sep 18th, 2003, 12:38 AM

Berlin is good. We walked around everywhere and even went on a 6hr walking tour of Berlin. It is a big place though but public transport is good.

Sienna, Bern, Strasbourg are others that I'd recommend.
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:29 AM

Every European town I have visited has been a Walking City.
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:35 AM

I agree with Elina. You'd be hard-pressed to find a European city where you can't get to everything easily on foot or by transit.
Seville, particularly the historic center, is a very compact and walkable, and is just a great Andalucian experience!
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Hi

My vote goes to Venice as well. But it is also true what elina says about every European city being a walking city. European cities are quite different from most cities in the States. I have enjoyed walking around in London, Paris, Milan, Venice, Prague, Amsterdam etc.

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:50 AM

Are there any European cities that AREN'T walkable?

Nice has not yet been mentioned. And ofcourse the public transportation in Venice is unique.
Sep 18th, 2003, 04:13 AM

Cities in Europe I've walked around and can highly recommend:
London (it's not as big as you think if you avoid the tube!)
Tallinn
Riga
Vilnius
Krakow
Prague
Copenhagen
Brussels
Monaco (technically not a city, but sue me)
Berlin
Bilbao
Barcelona
Rome
Venice
Verona
Florence
Amsterdam

So, yes, pretty much every city in Europe is a great walking city.

Personal preference? The Baltics. Still relatively free from the Prague-esque 'drinking' holidays and still cheap as chips to stay, eat and drink there. Tallinn is my number one.
Sep 18th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Definitely visit Vienna. Budapest is also another walkable city. Venice is another top contender. Like the other posters, I have yet to visit a European city that did not meet your critieria, except for maybe Ireland. I am off to Ireland this weekend and it seems that walking/public transportation is not the best way to see the sights in this country. Car rental is recommended.
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:03 AM
AllyPally

Jimbo, what was Tallinn like? I am really interested in visiting Estonia.

I'm not sure I agree with your comments about London size however. Perhaps you just mean the main West End district? I wouldn't like to walk from St. Pauls to Knightsbridge on any given day!!

Sep 18th, 2003, 05:15 AM
cmt

How about York?
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Ira is quite right about Bologna. It's one of the unknown gems of Europe. And, you can do everything just by walking--from shopping to sightseeing to dining to people watching to museum visiting. You name it!
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Ah, then you're not a walker, Ally Pally. I've done it. Also walked from my flat in Covent Garden, through Victoria area, past Sloane Square to the nether regions of King's Road, then north to Kensington High Street area and back through Hyde Park to my flat. Of course, I take most of the day doing it and enjoying every minute.
I've also walked from Covent Garden up to Little Venice and along the canal to Camden, then all the way back.

I'm definitely a walker, but I have to agree with others. I can't think of a major city in Europe that isn't walker friendly. But London and Paris remain my favorites for walking.
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Brussels comes to mind as very UN- walker-friendly. But then there ain't much to see in Brussels anyway. Frankfurt a.M. ditto.

Very good on the other hand are Bruges and Dublin.
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:47 AM

Wouldn't a definition of a "walkable city" be one that is (relatively) free of automotive traffic? Synonymous with Venice?

Sure, one can walk from point A to B, even in American cities. The degree of enjoyment of city sightseeing is inversely proportionate to the hazards, noises and smells of whizzing vehicles.

Don't you agree?
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:49 AM
AllyPally

Patrick, au contraire, I am a big walker. I have also been known to rollerblade home from work (Mayfair to Kensington) but that's a different story. How else are you supposed to find the secret charms of London if you don't walk? I merely meant to demonstrate the size of London as I don't believe it to be small and if you are tourist with time constraints, the tube may be necessary. I should, however, retract 'on any given day' and replace with 'when I have loads and loads of time I would gladly walk St Pauls to Knightsbridge'.

I have spent many a wonderful day walking in London. My favourite would have to be walks through Hyde Park to get home from Oxford Street, in winter with the sun was setting behind the bare trees and the tiniest hint of woodsmoke. I like to sit down to people watch and remind myself why I live in this fantastic city!!

Perhaps Austine just means some of the small, charming, less car congested cities?

Sep 18th, 2003, 06:24 AM

So many to choose from, but we just returned from Vienna, so I'll vote for it.
To walk through the arches at the Hofburg and have violinists playing, to just view the people everywhere in the pedestrian-only areas around the Cathedral, it's all very walkable and beautiful. And I can't say enough about the museums, just breathtaking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO