Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please compare these hotels/B&B's in Italy for us - for our honeymoon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would also appreciate a review of our potential itinerary, keeping in mind that we have never been to Tuscany before, and are quite active and want to see a lot, but also want to relax a bit...

We will be arriving around 12 noon on March 29th and we leave the morning of April 11th – in and out of Florence.

We were thinking to spend the 29th and 30th in Florence (my fiancee has never been and I was only there for a few days), the 31st-6th in a small town somewhere in Tuscany (taking day trips to all the other small towns), and the 7th-11th in a small town somewhere in Umbria (again taking day trips). We are
not the type who can sit all day, but we also want to try and relax a bit. We are hoping that Umbria will be a bit more relaxing, so that we can be rested before we go home. What do you think of this breakdown?

As for budget, we certainly do not have a big one. We are very happy spending anywhere between 80-110 Euros per night, and we are thinking about treating ourselves to something special for a few nights – but
that is such a difficult decision! There are so many amazing places to spoil yourself! We generally like B&B or quaint hotel type places. I have looked at many castles and bigger hotels to spoil ourselves, but there are so many – so if you have any suggestions for ones that are really worth it, please let me know!!

Here is what we have looked into:

Florence
•Hotel Bellettini (Would be a small room in the main building)
•Soggiorno Antica Torre (Standard room)

Tuscany
•Hotel Villa Belvedere - 15 km from Siena (Double room)
•Villa Rosa di Boscorotondo - 30 km from Siena (Double room)
•Borgo Il Poggiaccio (an apartment, so it
wouldn’t have as much charm) - a few kilometres from Sienna and San Gimignano
•Maurizio Villa Farinella B&B - Viterbo (Double room)
•Hotel Belvedere di San Leonino - Castellina in Chianti (Double room)
•Castel Bigozzi - North of Siena (Double room or Suite)
•Fagiolari - Panzano (Double room)
•La Romea - Lucca
•La Torretta B&B - Casperia (Double room)
•Le Gelosie - Cortona (Double room)

Umbria
•Fattoria di Vibio – 12 km from Todi (Comfort/Standard Double room, 800 Euros for 5 nights, including breakfast and dinner; Suite, 1000 Euros for 5 nights including breakfast and dinner
•Locanda Rosati - Orvieto (Double room)
•Albergo il Colombaio - Castellina (Double room)
•Alla madonna del piatto - Assisi (Double room)

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!

Susan
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM

We stayed in two different rooms at Soggiorno Antica Torre last July over a week long period.

We love the location and both of our rooms were comfortable. The bathrooms are new and spacious. I went into every room to check them so can tell you more specific info if you tell me which standard room you are considering.

There is no direct dial from your room and you cannot make or receive calls when Pam or Sandra is not there. We have an Italian cell phone so this was only a minor inconvenience for us.

There is no breakfast served but you are in the middle of Florence and there are lots of options.

The only thing that was a hassle is that there is a LONG flight of stairs until you get to the lift on the first floor and no porters to help with bags.

All in all, we enjoyed the B&B and I would recommend it with those reservations.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:07 PM

When I've planned my trips to Italy, I've used this amazing web-site "www.initaly.com. I have booked many small, charming hotels through them and have never been dissapointed. I'll be planning a similar trip in 2006 so I'd love to hear about your trip when you get back (especially in Umbria). Best wishes on your upcoming wedding.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I forgot to mention, when we stayed in Florence five years ago, we stayed at a small hotel called "Hotel Primavera". At that time is was about $75/night, only took cash, great location, just two blocks from the Arno, walking distance to all, very clean and the concierge was very helpful. We found it by change driving into Florence and when we were trying to find another hotel we passed by and my husband, who was driving, said "How 'bout here" (as he was very frustrated by the Florence traffic. I said fine, we looked at a room, heard the price, then asked where we could park our car. The owner said, "right here in front of the hotel, I'll move my car for you". I had thought we would have to park in a garage for another $20-$30 per night. I would stay there again!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Owlwomen,
What a great wed site! Thank you !
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
ira

Hi Susan,

I think you ought to add a day to Florence.

In Umbria I recommend Orvieto. Have lunch at one of the best restaurants in Italy, I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant’Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

40E pp for the fixed price lunch.

You can drop your car there and train to Rome.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I am planning a 14 day Italian honeymoon for September 2005! We have a lot in common. After much research, I have settled on these spots:

Assisi: Hotel Umbra
103E/night, includes breakfast
(dinner here is recommended by many people, too)
http://www.hotelumbra.it/

Chianti (Volpaia): Podere Terreno
180E/night, includes breakfast AND DINNER
*I actually found this at the library in a travelogue book. I have had my heart set on staying here since I read this and the dinner is suppose to be the highlight.
http://www.podereterreno.it/english.html

Florence: ANTICA DIMORA FIRENZE
http://www.anticadimorafirenze.it
130E/night

You're right - there are so many amazing places to stay that it can be difficult to make a decision.

Congrats and have a lovely honeymoon!

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks Betsy B - and congratulations to you too! September is such a gorgeous time to be there.

Your places look amazing to me! You did your research. Good for you - I think that you found 3 gems! I LOVE what the rooms look like at the hotel in Florence.

Thanks again for your help!

Good luck and have fun,
Susan