Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need the EuroSurge, or just an adaptor?

Do I need the EuroSurge, or just an adaptor?

Feb 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 637
Do I need the EuroSurge, or just an adaptor?


Going to Paris next month (yay!), and will use my laptop at rental apt.

Magellan's offers a "EuroSurge" adaptor specifically for computer use. It's about $50 plus s & h. They also have a World Adaptor Kit for the same price, but I really only need an adaptor for France.

Can I buy a single adaptor anywhere (not converter), or does the EuroSurge sound like a good idea? Here's the link:

melissa19 is offline  
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,045
Check your laptop's power cord or transformer (in-line box on the cord) or power label somewhere on the machine. Chances are >75% that it will say that input voltage is 120-240v, 50-60hz, meaning the computer will work just fine on 220v mains electricity in France. All you'll need is a plug adaptor, available all over the place for < US$5. If you want to buy a surge protector separately, fine, spend the money, but I wouldn't. You might want to invest in a heavy-duty 15-foot extension cord. Put the adaptor on the end of extension cord, plug your computer or other portable appliance that accepts 220v (camera charger, for instance) into the female end. Sometimes electrical outlets are not very plentiful in older buildings.
Gardyloo is online now  
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,260
Since your laptop was manufactured for worldwide distribution I can almost tell you without looking that it will accept 220-240 V current. Surge protection is another issue entirely as you know.

I think the extension cord is a good idea but make sure it is also rated for 220-240 V..might make more sense to buy THAT once you get to France.
Intrepid1 is offline  
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 45
Just backing up Gardyloo...actually every laptop power cord I've seen allows 120-240v input. I've had several laptops and used them all in Europe with a simple inexpensive plug adaptor, and it was fine. An extension cord is also a great idea.
LisaLH is offline  
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 637

yes, the computer does handle dual voltage which is why i'm only interested in the adaptor.

thanks for the idea of the extension cord, and i'll look for a single adaptor!
melissa19 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:49 AM.