Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need the EuroSurge, or just an adaptor?

Feb 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

All,

Going to Paris next month (yay!), and will use my laptop at rental apt.

Magellan's offers a "EuroSurge" adaptor specifically for computer use. It's about $50 plus s & h. They also have a World Adaptor Kit for the same price, but I really only need an adaptor for France.

Can I buy a single adaptor anywhere (not converter), or does the EuroSurge sound like a good idea? Here's the link:
http://www.magellans.com/store/Elect...iesEA230?Args=

Thanks!
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Check your laptop's power cord or transformer (in-line box on the cord) or power label somewhere on the machine. Chances are >75% that it will say that input voltage is 120-240v, 50-60hz, meaning the computer will work just fine on 220v mains electricity in France. All you'll need is a plug adaptor, available all over the place for < US$5. If you want to buy a surge protector separately, fine, spend the money, but I wouldn't. You might want to invest in a heavy-duty 15-foot extension cord. Put the adaptor on the end of extension cord, plug your computer or other portable appliance that accepts 220v (camera charger, for instance) into the female end. Sometimes electrical outlets are not very plentiful in older buildings.
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Since your laptop was manufactured for worldwide distribution I can almost tell you without looking that it will accept 220-240 V current. Surge protection is another issue entirely as you know.

I think the extension cord is a good idea but make sure it is also rated for 220-240 V..might make more sense to buy THAT once you get to France.
Feb 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Just backing up Gardyloo...actually every laptop power cord I've seen allows 120-240v input. I've had several laptops and used them all in Europe with a simple inexpensive plug adaptor, and it was fine. An extension cord is also a great idea.
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

hi,

yes, the computer does handle dual voltage which is why i'm only interested in the adaptor.

thanks for the idea of the extension cord, and i'll look for a single adaptor!