Stay in Amalfi or Ravello? Or ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father and his significant other are planning to spend three nights on the Amalfi Coast in early October. While I am about to go to Italy for the third time (hooray!) I still have not been south of Rome. I know most folks suggest staying in Positano, but while they are mobile and can do some climbing/schlepping, the steepness and huge number of stairs/vertical up and down concerns them. They would prefer not to stay in Sorrento.

I've searched a bit through the threads and guide, but am not clear....between Amalfi and Ravello, is one a better base if desiring a relatively "flat" or easier to traverse town in terms of access and strolling between hotel, dinner, shops, etc...??

Thanks!!
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:56 AM
WWK

I haven't stayed in Ravello, but it is uphill from Amalfi and more remote in terms of getting to other towns/cities on the coast. It also has far fewer hotels,restaurants shops, than Amalfi which is a medium sized city.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:56 AM
WWK

Just wanted to add that we always stay in Positano ( just returned from there), but probably a good choice not to for anyone with mobility concerns.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 05:29 AM

I love Ravello but it really is quite isolated from the rest of the coast. I would stay in Amalfi, but be sure to spend half a day in Ravello.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi F,

Amalfi is at the bottom of the hill.

It is a stop for the SITA buses and for the ferries.

Ravello is at the top of the hill, serviced by local buses and taxis.

I'd stay in Amalfi.

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM

3 trips to Amalfi coast. Each time we leave we wonder why we went to town of Amalfi.
On the other hand we marvel at Ravello each time. Ravello is relatively flat at top of hill.
I would stay there and take bus to various places, including Amalfi.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM

What are they going to do and see?

Will being further from transit (in Ravello) be a problem?

Are they aware that ferries may well be on a much briefer fall schedule and their transit limited to buses and taxis?
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM

Agree that Ravello is a bit remote but worth a lunch or dinner; I'd pick Amalfi if Positano poses problems. Dont recall Positano as being that steep frankly though was in mid-fifties when there. Don't count on the blue Sita buses being on any schedule....
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:27 AM

Amalfi - on the coast and thus a fairly flat town center would be my choice over perched Ravello which is much much smaller and quiet and has rave views from high up but I prefer a coastal town with a port, etc. And to get anywhere from Ravello you first much take the buses down to Amalfi.

I think Amalfi is a neat old town - none better on the amalfi Coast that I saw at least.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM

I much prefer Amalfi to Positano. People who do not see the beauty of Amalfi perhaps visited only on a daytrip and did not venture far off the main street.

Ravello is even more beautiful, but with no car, a bit more difficult to access.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 03:56 PM
kja

I enjoyed Amalfi very much, but was glad I stayed in Ravello. That said, I think nytraveler has raised the critical questions.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:07 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Amalfi, for all the reasons given. But bear in mind that there are numerous properties in between Positano & Amalfi - usually with the same gorgeous views. Concha dei Marini & Praiano etc if they want a more relaxed (ie no crowds) option but still on the bus line.

Ian
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:31 PM

We stayed at Hotel Floridiana in Amalfi in 2010. We loved it, and visited Ravello for the day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! This has been extremely helpful. I will discuss with him and also refer him to this thread. I think each location has merit with some pros/cons. Views and town of Ravello sound like a good fit and while the access could be a bit of an issue, I think the bigger thing to consider is the "being away" from the coast/water a bit.

With their three nights, they will likely have a private driver the day of arrival (from Naples train station with guided stop in Pompeii, and then dropped late afternoon of first day at hotel). They will also probably have a private driver for least one of their full days so will have some ease and leisure in exploring some of the other towns along the coast (will help minimize the effect of more limited transit options), although they are also quite independent and would feel comfortable taking a bus when and if needed. They like music and it does appear there are concerts in Ravello while there are there. They also love excellent dining (easy to accomplish in Italy!). They would probably stay at the Caruso in Ravello or the Santa Caterina in Amalfi but will look at all suggestions.

I appreciate your input!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 11:13 AM

They can't go wrong - Ravello to me seems much much more quiet if that is a factor and Amalfi lively if that is a factor!
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
ira

Hi fun,

If they are going to have a private driver, the choice is definitely Ravello.

Check www.tripadvisor.com for
Villa San Michele
Palazzo Avino and
Villa Maria

Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Private driver? I'm with Ira. I change my vote to Ravello. Our most magical moment on the coast was having a drink at dusk on a terrace (Villa Maria or nearby) listening to the church bells echo across the valleys.

Ian
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM

The Caruso is divine! You can walk everyplace in Ravello from there, but walking from Sta Caterina to Amalfi means walking along the busy road for awhile. Both are great hotels, though.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Ravello, it is! Thanks again.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Good choice. Do not miss visiting the Villa Cimbrone. The view from there alone will make your stay in Ravello worth it.