Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I posted earlier and now have a few more questions about trip to Amalfi Coast/Rome

Search

I posted earlier and now have a few more questions about trip to Amalfi Coast/Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well all the hotels and airline reservations are done...got time off work...used all of your helpful suggestions in my earlier post 2 weeks ago and now I have some final details I could really use your help with. This is the itinerary

11/19-arrive in Rome...immediately take train to Sapri for my daughters wedding. I hope the train goes all the way to Sapri!!

11/22-leave Sapri for Amalfi... Should we take the scenic bus ride?? what is the best way to get there using public transportation? I want to be sure at some point to take the coastal "E" ticket ride along the cliffs and can't decide when would be the best time. We leave Amalfi on 11/24 for Rome. We will be in Rome til the morning of 11/27 and then back to the USA! So given our time frame what are must see's in Amalfi? I think I can figure out Rome unless someone has suggestions on where to start. We are staying near Piazza Navona.
I couldn;t locate my last post so had to do a new one!!

Debbie
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM

So you have two nights in Amalfi, right?

If you take the train from Sapri to Salerno, you could then get the bus to Amalfi, which will take you along some of the most beautiful stretches of the Amalfi Coast.

Then spend the rest of that day walking around Amalfi.

The next day, you could go up to Ravello in the morning, explore Ravello, and stay for lunch at Cumpa Cosimo (make sure they are open), a small trattoria with good local food and moderate prices. In the afternoon, you could take the bus to Positano, or just stay in Amalfi. Consider walking the 20 minutes or so to Atrani for dinner at A Paranza.

If you want to read my trip report, let me know and I will try to bring it to the top for you..I spent 5 days in Amalfi last May.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
To find your previous posts, click on your own screen name in blue.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35165108
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Which guidebooks do you already have?
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes I would be interested in your trip details if it is not too much trouble.

Thank you
Debbie
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Is there a Sita Bus schedule anywhere on line in english? I have been looking without success.

Debbie
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Hi Debbie - You can find the current Sita schedules for

Salerno-Amalfi
Amalfi-Ravello
Amalfi-Positano-Sorrento

on:

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campan...A/QUADROXV.pdf

G = Daily
F = Daily EXCEPT Sundays
H = Sundays/public holidays

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 12:44 AM

the must sees in Amalfi is Amalfi itself ,the whole area is stunningly beautiful.
there is a saying that when an Amalfian dies and goes to Heaven it is just another day for them.
make an effort to visit St Andrews catherdral and make sure you have time to visit Ravello ( up in the hills above Amalfi),the gardens at the Villa Cimbrone are stunning and even this late in the year should be wonderful,the views are to die for.
If you can get put in a boat from Amalfi please do so and you will get some stunning views of the whole coast.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
JBX

As above poster describes the entire Amalfi region is scenic & charming. As you stroll thru the streets of Amalfi itself, you'll come across St. Andrew's Cathedral which is beautiful -- http://www.planetware.com/pictures-/...-i-cm-amct.htm --
And in the crypt are the remains of Apostle St. Andrew.