Stansted airport area B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone suggest a B&B near to stansted airport, north of london??...i will have a car so it could be up to 15 miles away i suppose...
thanks
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:14 AM

Is there any particular reason, you need to stay in any accommodation near Stansted Airport. The reason I say this, is that most people touring in a rental car, time their trip, so that they return their car, just prior to flying out of Stansted. Anyway, thats what we did, when we flew to Ireland. Our Car rental company (National)had people waiting near the airport, checked our car for any damage, signed it off, then we walked a short distance into the airport terminal, so easy.
However, if your flight time isn't convenient for doing that, might I suggest using Nationwide Bed & Breakfast service (try a web search). The towns nearby that I would choose would have to be interesting town of Thaxted, otherwise you could stay near Great Dunmow (but Thaxted is better)
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM

You are well placed to get a little away from the airport. Bishops Stortford is a quite normal market town, with an old centre and church, and small hotels and b and b that are in the web site http://www.airport-accommodation.co....s%20Stortford/. Smallrer but more beautiful is Thaxted, and a site for b and b there (and an old coaching inn in Saffron Walden) is http://www.databrowse.co.uk/srch/tow...3_25_0_0.html/.

[email protected]
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 09:49 AM

I for one would second the suggestion of returning the rental car at a later time so that you do not have to spend a night in what is a far from thrilling area.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:08 AM

Try www.smoothhound.co.uk and click on Stansted Airport - lots of choices.

Good luck.

Sandy
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:20 AM
rex

As Ben haines recommends, haxted is a bit further than you are seeking, but I checked quite thoroughly last May (2003), and the combination of low price and convenient to Stansted was not easy to find, in my opinion. We ended up choosing the dairybandb.co.uk - - it is VERY much like moving in with this family (if you want it to be so) - - and as we were there two nights, we found two excellent restaurants in the town of Thaxted itself.

We "day tripped" to Scotland (to look at Stirling University with our daughter) with an early morning and return-at-suppertime flights to Glasgow (Prestwick), and it is not exactly a short commute to the airport and back - - but still felt like a very manageable day.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

the reason for the stay is for a quick trip to germany for 4 days....we plan to keep our car to store some heavy dishes in while we are away...expensive storage but the flight is cheap (5.99 pounds each way)...

thanks for the other suggestions, i will check them out...