Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Holiday inn airport or Swords B&B with rental car return?

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Debating whether to drop off car at Dublin airport the night before we leave and get their free shuttle to Holiday inn for the night verses dropping car off in AM and stay in B&B in Swords. Which is more convenient? Is it a hassle to drop car in AM or is the shuttle more of a hassle?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

topper!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
pnestor

I would drop off the car and stay overnight in the hotel. The hotel is actually in the airport complex, no distance to the terminal building. Swords is not that far from the airport but you will have to navigate through Dublin rush hour traffic in the AM. Rush hour traffic, which around that area lasts well into the am is not pretty and not the way you want to stress yourself getting to the airport for your flight home.

P

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 01:22 AM

It depends is cost a factor? Also do you want to spend the evening having a meal or going to the pub for a last drink etc. If so then stay in swords otherwise just stay at the hotel. I personally hate airport hotels and would opt for swords. All you have to navigate is the roundabout to get into the airport. Even with traffic its should not be bad or take the back roads to the airport. The B&B should be able to tell you how to go.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Fortunately, we are leaving on a Saturday so traffic should not be a factor. I am more of a B&B person. I was wondering. I could drop the car off and take a cab to swords. How much is a cab from the airport? If it is cheap I may just do that as not to have to worry about turning the car in the morning.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:30 AM

That would be a good option it would be 5-10 euro approx maybe a charge for bags. Have the B&B book a taxi for the morning.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:07 PM

Just came home last night. Stayed at the Great Southern at the airport. Returned the car late Sunday night. It was quite a restful day coming home as all of the hassel was taken out of it. Took the shuttle to the airport.

We ate dinner in Swords the same night before returning the car and it would not be hard to get to the airport from Swords.

Have a wonderful trip. It was our first time to Ireland and we had wonderful weather and we loved it.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Nlingenfel! I did not know there were other hotels besides Holiday Inn near the airport. Did it also offer a free shuttle? Do you happen to know their web site?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Nlingenfel! Are you still here? DOes anybody else know? THanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Did this in January, stayed at a Comfort in Swords. Could not be easier, 5-7 minutes to airport and 2 minute walk from return to terminal.
Breakfast at the Airport after check- in wasn't. Was't cheap but not bad.